Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjmaximum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Gainesville, FL
I just got my new MBP with the 85W magsafe adapter. I am considering getting my daughter a MB off the refurb site but it comes with a 60W adapter.

My question is will these adapters work (safely) on either computer or is there a real difference between them.

I need to know because the MB is $999 and a spare adapter for my MBP is $79. If the adapters are not compatible, it would probably make more sense to buy a refurb MBP for $1299.

TIA

virtuatony

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
From what I understand the MB can use either one to charge, but it is not recommended to use the 60W with the MBP because it's not powerful enough.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I believe that you can use a higher wattage power supply on a lower wattage system, as the power supply can throttle down to the lower level. However, you cannot get full power from a lower wattage power supply on a higher wattage system. You may be able to run directly off of power, but I doubt that the battery will charge.

TEG

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I just got my new MBP with the 85W magsafe adapter. I am considering getting my daughter a MB off the refurb site but it comes with a 60W adapter.

My question is will these adapters work (safely) on either computer or is there a real difference between them.

I need to know because the MB is $999 and a spare adapter for my MBP is $79. If the adapters are not compatible, it would probably make more sense to buy a refurb MBP for $1299.

TIA

I believe that you can use a higher wattage power supply on a lower wattage system, as the power supply can throttle down to the lower level. However, you cannot get full power from a lower wattage power supply on a higher wattage system. You may be able to run directly off of power, but I doubt that the battery will charge.

TEG

Ditto.

I would get the MB and an extra 85W power supply so it can be used with either system.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland

TEG

You're right but the higher wattage supply doesn't throttle itself. It just delivers as much power as needed. 85W is just the max power it can output. The power supplied is determined by the laptop and how much current it needs at any one time.

jjmaximum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Gainesville, FL
Thanks for the responses.

So if I understand correctly, the 60W would work on a MBP, but it would just charge the battery slower if it was plugged in and off, and wouldn't charge it at all if it was plugged in and on?

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Yup - MacBook Pro works with either 60W or 85W power cords. My sister and I had to share one when my power cord died. I would say the charging speeds are marginally slower, but nothing really to moan about.

Also - the MacBook works with the 85W and 60W, so its kinda handy having two :D

pac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.