Magsafe ad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dashwin, Dec 18, 2016.

1. dashwin macrumors regular

dashwin

My old Powerbook G4 was pretty much destroyed by someone tripping over the cable and pulling it down. Reminded me of this ad...

And now my latest MBP 2016 doesn't have it. And before you ask -- yes, I do plan to get the BreakSafe.

2. powertoold macrumors 6502

i have the 15" touchbar, and the USB-C power plug is so easy to yank out after a week that it acts like a MagSafe.

People are way overreacting over MagSafe.

3. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

Maybe people should stop being careless. I used my Windows laptop with no MagSafe for the last eight years, and never had a problem with the power cord. I would much rather have the ability to charge from either side of the computer and have ports that can accomplish several tasks than a magnet that comes off really easily.

4. EndlessBuffoonery macrumors regular

EndlessBuffoonery

Ok, and your point is?

5. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

So when my spouse's 2016 MBP died, one of the problems was that we couldn't test whether anything was working at all, because there's no power indicator anywhere on the brick or cable. I eventually established the problem by using a Dell to test the chargers, since it could not only test them, but report whether or not it thought they were providing enough power. And the answer was that the MBP had stopped accepting power on any of its USB-C ports.

I also don't really think that your description makes any sense. Not all cable yanks will be directly away from the machine. If you yanked it sharply towards the front or back, I don't think it'd come out that easily, and certainly not without some risk of damage.

I mean, you can dismiss it as overreaction, but the question is why we should have to put up with losing a good feature at all.

6. lclev macrumors regular

lclev

Regardless - I find it interesting that a feature they once heavily promoted as a huge plus for buying an Apple computer is now no longer essential. Actually Apple is now saying it is no big deal at all - because they have found a better idea.

I like the magsafe feature and as far as the usb-c well for me the jury is still out.

7. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

I would say times have changed. MagSafe was introduced at a time when many laptops got 3-5 hours of battery life. But with improvements in power consumption, many users only need to plug in at home, where their power adapter is probably in a safe place. I still remember a time when many computer reviewers made it a point to include the weight of the power adapter in their reviews; times have changed.

8. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

"many" "probably"

So we're going from "make the best machine" to "make a machine that's probably tolerable for many users". That's... sort of the problem in a nutshell, really.

Times haven't really changed for me. I still want to run plugged in most of the time, whether or not I'm at home, and I still like magsafe a lot. And while in and of itself it's not a make-or-break thing, the implications for how Apple's thinking about computer design are a big part of why I'm typing this on a Linux machine.

9. spacebro macrumors regular

Sure people are smart enough to not put their computer somewhere it could get kicked down. But the point about magsafe is that you could put it across a walkway or anywhere even if someone might kick it out.

10. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

It's not remotely that simple. There's no such thing as a place that a cable can't be knocked down if you live with dogs or toddlers.

11. raqball, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

I'd prefer MagSafe but can live without it and there are adapters that can be purchased but, I agree with what you said..

The overzealous fans have also done a 180.. The once praised, must have, and a reason to buy a MacBook is now, according to them, completely useless.. LOL

12. powertoold macrumors 6502

Huh? Really?

13. motime macrumors 6502

lol more excuses. Magsafe is great and should still be in the latest macbooks.

14. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

There's a difference between excuses and reasoning; and I don't need to make any excuses.