MagSafe Adapter and AppleCare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RevoDS, Dec 17, 2010.

1. RevoDS macrumors newbie

I own a Mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro covered with 3-year AppleCare, and my MagSafe power adapter has been dying on me this week (only charging if the wire is in a certain position, until today where it stopped working entirely). A year and a half of use has left the rubber cover attached to the magnetic connector torn open in a small crack, and although none of the wire is actually exposed, I'm worried that Apple may try to pass that as accidental damage (even though it's simply due to wear over an extended period of time) and not replace it, forcing me to spend a hundred on a new adapter.

I haven't contacted them yet as we're off-hours, but I'd like to have some perspective if anyone has similar past experiences and how it ended. If that changes anything, I should note that while I bought the mac through Apple's online store, there is no Apple Store within a few hundred kilometers, so I'm going to deal with a local business that's an authorized Apple service provider.

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I wanted a second one for travel so I don't have to get on my hands and knees to unplug the home one. Found an open box unit on Ebay for $16.99 with free shipping. Got is a couple days after ordering, it was perfect and saved me quite a bit of cash compared to one NIB.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I already got this replaced a couple of times. It didn't seem to be a problem getting it replaced at the Apple Store.

5. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Just go into the Apple store and they should replace it for free. I just had mine swapped out-no questions asked. I also mentioned I felt it could "become a hazard." :D

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Had mine replaced under Apple Care. Which generation power cord do you have?

7. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I actually had the generation prior to the current gen cable-which was known to have issues anyway.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

That's the one I had and they replaced it with the newer one which made me happy because the older one often popped out when the computer was on my lap.

9. RevoDS thread starter macrumors newbie

Assuming you're talking about the type of connector (as described on http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1713?viewlocale=en_US ), then mine would be a T-style connector.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Yes, yours is the 'T'. I asked Apple when they replaced it under warranty for the 'L' model which they had no problem sending. It's just a lot nicer as it isn't as bulky, better for laps, and harder to pull out accidentally. If you decide you want the 'L', you might have to go to an Apple store.

With all of that said, I'm not sure if Apple even produces the 'T' anymore simply because the better designed L works for every model that has ever used the T adapter