Magsafe adapter, ground prong fell off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joemero, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Joemero macrumors regular

While at a recent hotel stay, I noticed my ground prong on my magsafe power adapter is gone, my 15" MBP still seems to charge when I plug it in etc, but I just wanted to know how necessary it will be to get a replacement adapter soon or if it's ok to continue using it as it is?

2. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

can you post a pic, i don't really know which part of adapter you are talking about

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

look at an ordinary wall outlet, it has two flat inputs that are side by side (parallel) and underneath there is a little round hole...it's the prong that goes into that one, commonly known as the ground.

5. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Assuming you are in the US --

In general, nothing will change because ground and neutral should be the same. Lots of people with 3-prong plugs cut the ground off to use it in places with only 2 prongs (Japan for instance). The ground is generally used as an additional safety.

My MB came with an additional cable that has 3 prongs though I use the power supply directly with the 2 prong connector instead...

6. sharkync macrumors regular

It is NOT a good idea to remove the ground prong from any device. It is used to protect you from an internal AC short. Although a laptop does not have 110 running around, the grounding circuit is essentially rendered useless without the ground prong. I suggest you replace the AC adapter.

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Not saying you don't know what you are talking about, but then why does the travel adaptor only have the two prongs. :confused:

I am no electrician, just wondering why if its okay on the travel adaptor, why wouldn't it be okay on the full length cord?

8. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I would agree with this for an appliance (like a stove or a toaster) running AC... for my DC laptop I would not worry about it -- especially in this case where Apple supplies 2-prong configurations with the same power supply. If missing the ground plug were a real safety hazard there is no way they would do this.

(Notice the AC/DC converter is plastic so that an internal fault is less likely to shock you on the outside of the case? AC never makes it to the laptop itself...)

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

This is true,the power supplies are double insulated,no need for a earth.

10. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

While it is not necessary, it is helpful. The travel adapter that comes with the MacBooks is only a 2 prong plug, so it is the same as just using that.

11. gorn macrumors member

Actually standard toasters aren't grounded. It's intentional, it's much more likely to have a user stick a fork in there, than the toaster to have an actual fault, and a metal fork in your right hand touching hot and your left hand holding the (grounded) toaster would be deadly.

12. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Good point.

Lesson 1, never give two examples when one will do!!
    Lesson 2, never put a fork in the toaster
    ;)