Magsafe Adapter hissing noise

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by csucollegian, Jan 26, 2010.

1. csucollegian macrumors newbie

I have been noticing lately that there is a slight hissing noise on the magsafe adapter particularly when its plugged in to MBP in a quiet room. Is it normal??

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

check where the cord enters the plug, they tend to fail there, mine hissed, right before it shot sparks and smoke.

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I recommend replacing it ASAP! You don't want to start a fire or burn yourself.

4. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

What part of the the magsafe? If it's at the connector then replace it immediately because there isn't proper contact and the connector is (arching) sizzling. If it's humming on the power block it might be fine but not sure. If in doubt replace it. I bought a replacement on ebay for $50.

5. csucollegian thread starter macrumors newbie

The magsafe is connected to an A/C powercord and the adapter is where it seems to have the hissing sound - which sounds more like a radio frequency on low volume that could be heard only in very quiet room. Can anybody also hear their magsafe make weird noises like this?

This is the second time I replaced the magsafe in the last 7 months or so and I was just wondering if this should be a serious concern since I don't plan on replacing it again. Also, I would consider looking to another magsafe alternative if there was such a replacement...