magsafe adapter recall- question about the legaleze

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ruahrc, May 2, 2012.

1. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

So I understand that there is a recal on magsafe power adapters with the old style "T" connector. There was not enough strain protection on the connector so the cords often frayed and broke. Apple is supposed to replace them with the newer "L" style connectors, which are designed to be less susceptible to cable strain.

My question is, if I have a adapter with the "T" connector and it is currently okay, am I eligible for an upgrade? According to the "fine print text" from apple, (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4127?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) they will only replace your adapter if it shows signs of fraying or damage at the connector end due to cable strain.

As I was aware of this design flaw as a potential issue when I bought my MBP, I have been careful since day one to ensure that the magsafe end of my adapter has been subjected to minimal cable strain. As such, it does not show signs of fraying, and it provides a reliable connection.

However, it is clear that there is a design flaw in the product, and that it is not a matter of "if" but "when" my adapter too will fail due to cable fray. So should I be able to get a replacement? Do I have to wait until my own adapter starts breaking down before I can go in and get one? Why can I not just get a replacement now, so I am not stuck on a trip somewhere all of a sudden with no working power adapter? It seems like I am being penalized for actually being proactive about preserving the condition of my adapter.

Basically I'm asking if I were to make a trip to the Apple store to exchange my power adapter, would they just swap out my adapter for the new style one, or would they give me crap about mine not having signs of damage (yet...)? I don't want to have to waste a trip to the apple store if they are going to turn me down, but at the same time I don't see why I need to wait for my adapter to fail to get a replacement, especially if there is a known and documented design issue with these "T" style magsafe connectors.

Maybe I should "rough up" my adapter cable a bit before I take it in haha.

FWIW my laptop is still in, but near the end of, my 3-year Apple Care warranty period.

Ruahrc

Edit: I also see on that site that this recall program will end on May 21, 2012. Clearly my adapter will not fail within this time period, unless I deliberately go out of my way to damage it before the recall period ends. But again there's clearly a design defect with the adapter and why can I not get a replacement per the terms of the recall, just because I happened to take better care of my adapter than others did...?

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If you're looking after it well as you say, then it's not a matter of "when" at all. If it seems absolutely fine then why does this affect you?

3. Ruahrc thread starter macrumors 65816

Because while it may be fine now, it probably won't be fine in the future. This is a design defect.

And if I have to take special precaution just to keep it in working order, that is extra inconvenience I otherwise would not need to undertake if I had an adapter that was designed properly.

It seems awfully arbitrary to give a replacement to those who beat up their adapters, whereas others who took better care, and have not had the failure yet, will be left in the cold come May 22, 2012 when the recall program ends and their adapter fails after that. Especially when it has been decided this is a design flaw and not user-error.

4. ok.Eric macrumors member

Interesting, so the problem I'm seeing is that people who were more rough with their magsafe adapters ended up fraying the ends and now they get rewarded with a new power cable (one that is superior in my opinion to the "T" style adapter). Those of us who took extra care of our adapters aren't eligible for a new one, but instead are stuck with the inferior adapter.

5. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

I took one to the Apple store in January that showed no signs of damage. The employee went to the back and came back out with a brand new one for me. It wasn't in a box but it did have the plastic wraps on it. No questions asked. This was in Annapolis MD.

6. ok.Eric macrumors member

Nice, ultimately it's going to come down to the genius you get as to whether or not you get a new one though I suppose.

7. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Take it in, they'll give you the L shaped one.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Really? I'm near that one... may have to get my wife's brick replaced.