MagSafe Adapter

LethalUK

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2009
Hello,

I have had my MBP since August, but today my MagSafe Adapter is acting strangely.

Every so often, the green LED will fade away. Sometimes for a couple of seconds, sometimes for up to a minute.

Does this mean that it is about to give up the ghost?

Thanks.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
My MagSafe adapter has been exhibiting the same behavior for several months (Early 2008 MBP), but everything still works fine. It still provides power to the machine and charges properly.

LethalUK

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2009
Ok, thanks for your help. It still charges when it happens, but I'm going to talk to Apple as I don't really want to have to wait to get one shipped to me or to pick one up if it does indeed break.
:)

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Clean the contacts. Every time that happens to me, I just have to rub the connector with a pencil eraser. It works fine for months after that then.

I doubt anything is actually broken. Try this first. If that doesn't work, call Apple.

DustyLBottoms

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2009
Hello,

I have had my MBP since August, but today my MagSafe Adapter is acting strangely.

Every so often, the green LED will fade away. Sometimes for a couple of seconds, sometimes for up to a minute.

Does this mean that it is about to give up the ghost?

Thanks.
Haven't you heard? Old MagSafe LEDs don't die, they just fade away.....

;)

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
My old style Macbook mag safe started doing the led turnoff thing. After a while it started to get hotter at the end that hooks up to the Macbook. At some points I found that the cable actually became less stiff because the plastic was heating up so much. Eventually it would stop charging. I took it into the genius bar and it would not stop charging, but it got really hot and the green led turned a brighter yellowish color.

So I got it replaced for free. But that was probably a different issue as it was with the old style.