MagSafe adapters - power off when not in use??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keeper, Sep 11, 2008.

1. keeper macrumors regular

Hi All

Do MagSafe adapters power off when not required to charge the battery or do they use 85w all the time?

UK power costs have shot up, so i now only use mine when required to reduce cost.

Cheers Phil

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Once the battery is fully charged, they stop charging.

3. cubedweller macrumors 6502

I believe as long as the charger is plugged into the wall it will be drawing electricity whether the device is plugged in or turned on. I'm not too sure if the whole 85W is being pulled but it is generally advised that to reduce power consumption when you are not using electronics, unplug their plugs from the wall.

4. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

You are correct. It wont be drawing 85W, but it will be drawing minimal current, know as "Parasitic draw". Its nothing to worry about with something as small as an 85W power source.:cool:

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

85W refers to its rated power output under maximum load. Except under extreme circumstances (max CPU utilization, all fans running, optical drive spinning at max speed), you won't see the adapter drawing all 85W.

This is same in principle to the 1,000W supply in the Mac Pro. Imagine the power bill if that guy was continuously drawing 1kW....