Magsafe + applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vines, Jun 9, 2012.

1. vines macrumors newbie

I have bad luck with power adapters. Incredibly bad luck. Everything I touch frays and dies. I purchased a new MBP last summer, and the cord is now starting to show wear and tear. Awhile ago I slapped some duct tape on it (at the brick and at the top) to stabilize it some; I've done it for older magsafe models, and it helped extend their lives a bit. I've never had a mac w/applecare before (previous was secondhand), so I'm not sure exactly how the duct tape is going to affect my coverage when/if this adapter completely craps out.

Does anyone have any experience with applecare replacing power adapters that have been taped up? I've read people swear up and down that apple will never replace a power adapter, I've heard people say that they'll only replace it if it melts or something, and I've heard people say that they'll replace it no matter what, but only if it's the adapter that came in the box with the mac.

I would just call/go in and ask them if my power adapter is covered, but I have social anxiety that makes that a lot more arduous than it has to be. :( TIA.

2. serb macrumors newbie

don't worry King Midas, you can just have a friend or family member call for you and the Apple Store will tell them if they cover the power adapters

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I understand the social anxiety issue, but unfortunately no one can tell you for sure if they'll replace it or not. You'll have to show it to them and explain what happened. A lot of the time they do replace frayed adapters, but I'm not sure if the fact that you taped it would change anything. I don't see why it would. Can you just take the tape off before you take it in so they can see that it's frayed?

4. vines thread starter macrumors newbie

I just worry that there might be some residue from the tape or they'd somehow ~know~ that I had taped it up (more anxiety, I know), but I think I could manage to get it off before taking it in.

You're right though, I guess I'll just have to build up the guts to get in there.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

They do cover power adapters:

What they don't cover is wear and tear, which is why most people have issues getting them replaced. Pretty much if you're dragging it around, it can get frayed, but if it just stops working for no apparent reason with no damage, then you have the right to a replacement.