Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
My macbook pro was off for 10 days as I was out of the country but when I turned it on I noticed the the light would not stay green. The menu icon indicates a charged battery, I am getting normal battery life and it recharges fine but once charged it blinks. I dont have apple care so dont want to call. Would I be charged just to have a genius look at it?

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
My macbook pro was off for 10 days as I was out of the country but when I turned it on I noticed the the light would not stay green. The menu icon indicates a charged battery, I am getting normal battery life and it recharges fine but once charged it blinks. I dont have apple care so dont want to call. Would I be charged just to have a genius look at it?

I just had this on my MacBook Pro at work, although my battery also stopped charging all the way to 100%. I reset the PMU but this didn't change anything. Our IT guy swapped the battery for another one and all is well again. Sorry, I don't know what the Genius charging scheme is. I suspect the first thing they will do is to try a new battery.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
Thanks, hopefully it will be just a battery or something than be diagnosed on the spot because regardless any repair is necessary and I assume them taking the laptop in when I dont have applecare will end up being quite painful.

Im headed there in a half hour so Ill bring back the news when I get back.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
I FIXED IT!

Heres my story:

Genius was from from it. He looked at me puzzled when I told him my problem and typed on his computer for 10 min. before I told him we should probably try a new adapter first. We tried it, didnt work. So he continued typing until another far-from-genius came up. He asked him, the guy thought the problem was the logic board. I almost fell out of my chair and immediately spouted that he should try a different battery. He put a new battery in and voila! no more blinking. So I asked him where the batteries are and decide to test him a little bit. I knew which one I needed. But I asked him to point it out for me anyways. He stared at the batteries for about 30 sec., picked one up walked over to his computer for a minute or so and then confirmed to me it was what I needed. I took it and placed it back on the shelf and then headed home. I knew what was wrong. It had struck me. I had to recalibrate the battery. I did that last night and all is well. I would have spent $130 that I didnt need to. And since apparently their techs are never educated on such a problem I am going to email apple my story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.