MagSafe cable yellowing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gdb19, Jun 24, 2015.

1. gdb19 macrumors newbie

After a bit of advice if anyone else has had this issue.

I've had my MacBook Air for just under 3 year and in the last 3 months my MagSafe cable has yellowed at the end and the cable sheath has kind of deformed so the cable clip won't go all the way to the end. Possibly not explained that well so I've attached a picture.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435137452.792454.jpg

My AppleCare ends today but I'd called apple on Monday so have an existing case for this. Problem is that I can't get to an Apple Store in the next few weeks. Apple told me I could get a replacement by post and I'd just need to send my cable back - but if they found no fault they'd charge me for the new cable. This seems to be strain relief from what I've found on the internet.

Not that kern to get charged for a new cable so im wondering if anyone has had this before and if their cable was replaced by apple.

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

It really is up to Apple. I have cables that are newer and are in worse condition and older cables that look like new. I have taken them to the Apple Store and have had the bad ones replaced with no issues at all, but it really is up to the store to make that decision. I know the store I am dealing with and they are generally pretty easy to work with. We can only tell you our experiences with Apple. It is up to Apple to make the final call on it.

My suggestion would be to try and find the time if at all possible to make to an Apple Store and see in person if they will replace it. This way if they say you have to pay at least you can refuse.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Why do you think apple should replace your charger?

4. motrek macrumors 68020

I wonder what causes the cable to go yellow. Is it some kind of chemical reaction or is it exposure to the sun (I guess that's also a chemical reaction) or is it something growing on the cable or what.

If it's something to do with the chemistry of the cable, I think it can be argued that that's a design or manufacturing defect and you should arguably get a new cable (and whatever's permanently attached to it) under warranty.

I've had one of my Apple cables go yellowish before, for no obvious reason. None of my other Apple cables have ever done that, nor cables from other manufacturers, and I treat them all exactly the same.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Going yellow is not considered a defect.
    I have countless cables. They are all yellowing.
    His cable is showing deformations, that apple will consider 'external damage'.

Of course he can try anyway, but unless he gets lucky and a really friendly genius, apple will not give him a new cable. One way they make $$$ is by selling obscenely overpriced cables.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

Huh, I'm surprised all your cables are yellowing. All of mine stay white except for that one.

Yeah replacement depends on the Genius. I wouldn't be surprised either way. For every person who goes to the store to complain about a yellow cable (or whatever), there must be 20 people who just go buy a new cable. So Apple doesn't take a huge financial hit if they replace the cable for that one person who complains, plus they get the benefits of having good customer service (improved word-of-mouth, improved customer satisfaction scores on surveys, etc.).

7. gdb19 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just thought it was a bit odd how it had gone yellow and the cable sheath bunched up a bit. When I googled it there seemed to be quite a few others saying it was called strain relief and was commonly replaced by apple - something to do with a design flaw.

I'm really quite obsessive about keeping my stuff in good condition so I'm sure it's not down to me. Don't use the cable in direct sunlight and always wrap it round the wings in the plug when I travel.

8. motrek macrumors 68020

The act of wrapping the cable probably puts some strain on it unless you're supremely careful.

9. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

No signs of yellowing or deformation on my 2013 MBA cable, it will be exactly two years old next week. Maybe it takes 3 years to start?

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If it's just that area that's yellowed it's due to the cables inside being damaged and heating up during charging. That is what's causing it to go yellow. Leave it any longer and the cable will go brittle and crack

12. gdb19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, it is just that area nearest the connector that is yellowing, not a smoker so definitely not due to that. I think I'll try to get to an apple store as soon as I can.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sometimes people's chemistry will react with some plastics. All of my cables are still white

14. gdb19 thread starter macrumors newbie

An update on this - went to the Apple Store today and they replaced the cable. Told me the adapter was probably at the end of its life but as I'd raised a case just before my warranty ran out they'd replace it.

15. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

So Apple thinks the MBA power adapter is only supposed to last about 3 years? ;)

16. motrek macrumors 68020

Well, that one, anyway. :)

17. gdb19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure it's an official policy but that was what the guy said to me. I don't think I'll wind the new adapter wire around the wing type bits with this new one, from what I've read online this could be a possible cause of the problem. I'll stick to just coiling the wire up a bit and using velcro tape stuff to secure it in a loop.

18. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

Wash your hands after eating curry before you pull the wire out

19. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Glad to hear it ended well for you. Better to try and know for sure than to not try and never know if they would replace it.