Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Should I not use this as a "bedside" charger? I don't really care about the fast charge since I will just hope its charged in the morning, but i keep reading that fast charging is bad for the battery.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Don't do it! I'd definitely cause a fire hazard as temps reach 45°C when charging. Unfortunately, the Magsafe puck doesn't work with USB-A Non-PD charger so you're pretty much stuck with fast charging.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
i have used mine with an 18w ipad pro plug and in the morning it’s only slightly warm. though i went back to my anker qi charger with an internal fan for overnight charging. my 12 pro and the charger are completely cool when i get up. i have to think this is better for the battery.

Reactions: Petey07

Neonblue

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
London
Have stuck a MagSafe on my headboard.
823944CF-529E-4733-9100-FF2D47398DEF.jpeg

Petey07

macrumors regular
May 30, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Don't do it! I'd definitely cause a fire hazard as temps reach 45°C when charging. Unfortunately, the Magsafe puck doesn't work with USB-A Non-PD charger so you're pretty much stuck with fast charging.
I agreed... the pucks that I'll be returning generated too much heat that I am afraid to charge over night... let alone sticking it on my headboard overnight...

Reactions: cbautis2

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I have been using mine on my bedside table but from tonight am not going to. Not for the heat thing but because I can’t stand that you need two hands to get your phone off the damn thing! I can sometime prise it off using a finger on the cable but even then the “puck” slides across the table. No, I’m just going to use it when I travel (not so much nowadays) and go back to my Nomad charging dock.

Reactions: darrinS

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I have been using mine on my bedside table but from tonight am not going to. Not for the heat thing but because I can’t stand that you need two hands to get your phone off the damn thing! I can sometime prise it off using a finger on the cable but even then the “puck” slides across the table. No, I’m just going to use it when I travel (not so much nowadays) and go back to my Nomad charging dock.
Double sided tape does the trick, i personally use the ones that come with command strips

Reactions: AVBeatMan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.