Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
England
It's cool how the charger snaps to the phone and zeroes in first time to charge, but isn't it going to be a pain when removing that you'll take the charger with it and have to peel it off?

I have a wireless pad on my bedside unit that I never have problems placing the phone right, also gives a little pulse of light when it detects the phone. When I grab my phone there's obviously no two handed manoeuvre to release it which I think would start to annoy, especially if the cord just reaches your desired placement.

(I know the Magsafe is quicker to charge but that's a non issue when charging over night.)

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I feel the same way and am reserving judgement until I hear when users get this and the phone in their hands next week to see if it’s worth it. I have held back ordering it as of yet. Seems like a cool idea and opens possibilities from a case manufacturer standpoint but not sure it makes the charging process any easier than plugging in the cable or setting it on my existing Qi charger. Mine charges overnight so could care less about the faster speed as long as it’s full by the time I wake up!!

Reactions: hufflematt

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
Actually that's a good point. The two handed manoeuvre to release it would make it the same as a wired charger, rather than a grab 'n go with a current wireless option.

I guess standard wireless chargers still work, so people can make their own choice, but well spotted!

Reactions: Pug72

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I'm seeing it as this kind of hybrid between Qi and a lightning cable. It's a lot easier than connecting and disconnecting a lightning cable. But operates like a cable in that I can pick up the phone and use while it's still charging. Connecting it is easier than with a cable and just as easy as Qi, maybe even easier. And the only 'downside' if you can really call it that is that disconnecting may require two hands.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Actually, just had a thought for an easy solution, lol.

Either Bluetac or double sided sticky pad the Magsafe to the unit. :p

I was thinking this about the magsafe. Last night when I put my phone on my normal wireless charger I realised I’d already blutac’d it to the bedside table :) So I’ll just do that with the magsafe. I’m hoping the strength of the magnets is set per accessory - a wireless charger just needs enough to nudge it into position, it doesn’t need as much as eg that Belkin car mount.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I was thinking this about the magsafe. Last night when I put my phone on my normal wireless charger I realised I’d already blutac’d it to the bedside table :) So I’ll just do that with the magsafe. I’m hoping the strength of the magnets is set per accessory - a wireless charger just needs enough to nudge it into position, it doesn’t need as much as eg that Belkin car mount.

I think mounting it defeats the purpose. It's not supposed to remain fixed in place. That's what makes it so great and better than a Qi charger.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBuffather

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I think mounting it defeats the purpose. It's not supposed to remain fixed in place. That's what makes it so great and better than a Qi charger.

I don’t care if the charger stays in one spot on my table - in fact thats preferred, I don’t want it moving around. The convenience I was imagining from magsafe is making sure its in the right position quickly and easily so I don’t wake up to find it not having charged (which has happened a few times with my regular Qi charger)

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I don’t care if the charger stays in one spot on my table - in fact thats preferred, I don’t want it moving around. The convenience I was imagining from magsafe is making sure its in the right position quickly and easily so I don’t wake up to find it not having charged (which has happened a few times with my regular Qi charger)

OK I respect that. What I was trying to convey is that unlike Qi chargers, the thing I'm excited about with the magsafe charger is that the iPhone doesn't need to remain on the table.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
It's cool how the charger snaps to the phone and zeroes in first time to charge, but isn't it going to be a pain when removing that you'll take the charger with it and have to peel it off?

I have a wireless pad on my bedside unit that I never have problems placing the phone right, also gives a little pulse of light when it detects the phone. When I grab my phone there's obviously no two handed manoeuvre to release it which I think would start to annoy, especially if the cord just reaches your desired placement.

(I know the Magsafe is quicker to charge but that's a non issue when charging over night.)

the flip side to this is it allows you to USE your iPhone while wirelessly charging. while that seems "stupid" right now because you could just use a lightning cable see it for what it is... apple making a move to GET RID OF ALL PORTS on the iPhone. in a year or two the ONLY way to charge an iPhone will be MagSafe so they had to create a way that allows charging WHILE using the phone like we can today... MagSafe is that solution.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
England
I'm kind of hoping the connection is strong enough to stay connected when stuck to the side of my bedside unit. Would be cool, but then again just asking for an accident if knocked.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I'm kind of hoping the connection is strong enough to stay connected when stuck to the side of my bedside unit. Would be cool, but then again just asking for an accident if knocked.

Merely a guess, but I doubt this current magsafe charger from Apple will be able to do that. But I have no doubt that third parties will be selling something that does.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
If it’s like the Apple Watch connection, it will be a lot easier to charge. As you get closer, it just snaps. When you pick up the phone, you will have to pull the charger off (unless it has weight to it). This is much easier than fiddling with the pad and get the phone charging. I have a max now and a 6 plus for work. I use a morphie dual charger and I always have issues finding that sweet spot. Sometimes the phone hasn’t charged at all.

Reactions: DotCom2

Petey07

macrumors regular
May 30, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
I wonder if third party will create a holder for the MagSafe charger just like how there are for the Apple Watch charger. I think that would be nice to have the phone slanted upright while charging than to lay it flat.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
I had the same thought. Also, when you put it on, does it make an audible click? With the magnets, I would assume so. This could be annoying if used on a night stand.

NewYorkRanger

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
The same "problem" exists with the Apple Watch.

Only a matter of time until people are cradles/docks like they did with the watch where the cord is stationed within the dock. Example:

station-to-load-wood-to-apple-watch-38-and-42mm.jpg

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
It’s only a matter of time before amazon is filled with loads of 3D printed stands to support the MagSafe charger.

Hopefully the magnet is strong enough to work through a thin layer of wood. I remember hacks for tables etc for normal Qi chargers but the positioning is particularly tricky for those without a reference point. With magsafe to help you know you have it in the right position, I could see that kind of hack being more popular. I would even consider buying furniture with a built in/built under magsafe charger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.