Magsafe charger broken, how long will it last?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warmo161, Jan 29, 2014.

1. warmo161 macrumors newbie

Hi there, my charger for my Macbook Pro 15" (non retina 2012) has broken on me, the cable from the unit to the macbook has ripped open, I've fixed it with some electrical tape but I would like to know if this is the best idea, I've heard that a lot of people have problems with them so incase I get another charger is there anything better I can do to stop it happening again?

2. MaulRx Suspended

Photo?

If the cable is ripped in anyway the best thing to do is replace it obviously. That said if it's working with the electrical tape, you could probably leave it alone as long as you avoid repeating what broke it in the first place.

Two years(ish) isn't that long a time for it to wear out on it's own unless you move it heavily and even then....

3. warmo161 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what I do to avoid that it I make a small loop with the cable so it has some slack than I wrap the remaining cable around the little arms that fold out

and yes usually that should be covered under applecare

5. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Really? I am having issues with my Magsafe charger not wanting to charge my MBP, every now and then it will not recognize the charger. Wonder if I should take it to the Apple Store.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

if you still have applecare I would

7. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Ok, Im having issues with this D**n computer again... UGH. Thanks :)

8. eneisch macrumors 6502a

Last time I was at the Apple store a guy was there for an issue with his MacBook. The genius noticed his power cord was damaged and gave him a new one (white box) on the spot with no questions asked.

I have also submitted an online request through AppleCare for replacement iPhone headphones that had frayed and they were replaced. I only had to send the defective pair back to Apple using their prepaid envelope.

I say give it a try - you have nothing to lose.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I think Apple are particularly sensitive after that case of a woman being electrocuted by a counterfeit iPhone charger, that prompted a $10 genuine charger deal and has probably propagated into a genuine care for customer's power cords and chargers. Good to see.

10. jakespeed macrumors member

If you feel like McGyvering it...

1. Put a small dot of super glue on the cut to hold the cable cover tight.
    2. Get liquid electric tape (comes in white) from Lowes or Home Depot and paint it over the spot. You can also get Dishwasher Rack Repair kits that will be the same stuff.

Saves a trip and its good as new. Comes in handy for repairing any other type of small cut.

I have also seen people use Sugru to create a better strain relief on the end of the cable

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The opposite end of that cable has been tearing for over a year now, I just use it as my travel charger now.

12. warmo161 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok then cool, i'll go on apple live support tonight to confirm they will replace it, because its quite a trip away to go to my nearest apple store

13. Cmd-the-World macrumors regular

Good luck getting a replacement. I found this that could be helpful with the new charger not to have the same issue again in the future. http://pythoncords.com It seems that currently they are sold out. I never tried them so I don't know if it works but it is an interesting idea how to safe guard the cable

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod