Magsafe charger burning/melting!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bigmac7, Jul 3, 2008.

1. bigmac7 macrumors member

Okay so I was noticing that my charger was not charging my macbook so I started adjusting it then all of a sudden it got extremely hot and I noticed it looked like it was melting or something, and that there was a hole in it.[​IMG]
    What should I do? Thanks

2. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

This worries me as I've seen this before and I have emigrated recently with my Macbook that is still under warranty but there is limited Apple support here. Email back to UK I guess (if anything happens).

Good luck OP

3. bigmac7 thread starter macrumors member

I'm just glad I did not leave it plugged in without noticing, who knows what could have happened. I probably will go by the apple store sometime this weekend.

4. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

dude your amped, you're going to get a new mac.

5. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

Apple will cover this unit. I have replaced may of these units while at the bar. This is a GIANT fire hazard and Apple will be more than happy to replace it. If there is a Apple store in your area, make a Genius appt, and they will be happy to replace it.

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Does anyone remember the other magsafe fire thread that went out of control? lulz.

7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

ya, but at least this dude has a CLEAR pic of whats going on as opposed to the other dude who refused to post a picture then posted something that looked more confusing then a Picasso painting.

8. mosx macrumors 65816

9. BigPrince macrumors 68020

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Like the fracturing case, this is a design flaw, and one Apple has refused to address despite two years of complaints. You can go to their own website and read hundreds of one-star reviews for the Magsafe; it's a crummy product a decent manufacturer would have recalled *and redesigned* years ago.

11. bigmac7 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, Apple gladly replaced it at the store.

12. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Interesting. Wonder if this item will get an upgrade for the much-rumored MB redesign?

13. MacMalv macrumors regular

i had this happen to me about 1/2 a year ago. i just rang up support and the guy told me to stop using the cable and they would send a replacement immediately. they also wanted me to return the broken one so they could take a look at it.

14. SarahX macrumors newbie

I had this problem last week and went to my local apple store but they told me i had to buy a new one and would not do anything about it.

15. cMacSW macrumors regular

Had mine replaced no questions asked. How old was your laptop?

16. LondonGooner macrumors regular

Kick up a fuss about how it was a fire hazzard and you have every right to sue them. I got a free replacement even though my unit was out of warranty.

:rolleyes: Its a design flaw all the same, hence why they fixed it in latter models. Don't blame the user for a badly thought out design.

17. SarahX macrumors newbie

I have had my laptop 2 years now. Whenever i try to call apple i can never get through.

18. SarahX macrumors newbie

I finally got apple to send me a replacement charger but they managed to send me one for a different country. :mad:

19. LondonGooner macrumors regular

Buy a converter, will cost about $2 from a travel shop & then wait for them to send you the right cable.

20. udamangum94 macrumors newbie

Try their online chat, that always works for me.

21. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

In reply to SarahX

Yeah the service Apple provides in the United Kingdom is, frankly, appalling. I live in Hexham, England, and my nearest Apple store is Glasgow, Scotland. A nice short trip of only 240 miles-ish. My best advise is to look for a local Apple Authorised Retailer, they're often much friendlier and sympathetic.

As for the MagSafe, I like it. Sure the power block gets hot, and the UK plug attachment for the block (I never use the extension cord, no use for it really) really doesn't fit very snugly at all, but the concept is sound as long as you don't keep pulling it by the cord.