Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mimiron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Hey, so my girlfriend bought the new MagSafe charger and also the MagSafe case for the iPhone 12. She charged her phone overnight, but the phone’s battery was completely drained in the morning. She uses a 2018 15” MBP brick. The MagSafe charger turns hot even when the phone isn’t is charging. Did anyone here experience a similar problem? I’m trying to get to the bottom of this. Everything works just fine without a case it seems…Thanks for your replies.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
so with a case it just heats up instead of charging?but with no case it charges fine?

sorry for asking but is it aligned properly?and is anything between the case and phone?

im using Lifeproof Next on my 12 and magsafe works fine.

Reactions: Mimiron

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Hey, so my girlfriend bought the new MagSafe charger and also the MagSafe case for the iPhone 12. She charged her phone overnight, but the phone’s battery was completely drained in the morning. She uses a 2018 15” MBP brick. The MagSafe charger turns hot even when the phone isn’t is charging. Did anyone here experience a similar problem? I’m trying to get to the bottom of this. Everything works just fine without a case it seems…Thanks for your replies.
I experienced that. I posted about it where I was charging overnight. Woke up at 3am and found my phone cooking a fried egg. It was super hot and I was lost a charge (can’t remember). At that point the MagSafe was so hot it stopped charging. I returned and got a replacement but I don’t know if that issue is fixed or now. I didn’t have a case. This happened one time. It usually works well.

Last edited:

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Today I started to charge my wife’s new 12 with a MagSafe case and charger. It got hot and barely charged. I’m first chalking it up to a new phone and updating to 14.4 and indexing. I’ll see if the behavior continues or gets better in the next day or two.

Mimiron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
so with a case it just heats up instead of charging?but with no case it charges fine?

sorry for asking but is it aligned properly?and is anything between the case and phone?

im using Lifeproof Next on my 12 and magsafe works fine.
Exactly and I don’t know why. She has this original Apple MagSafe enabled case with the weird circle.

Attachments

• 6202F974-923E-43A2-AB6B-E3410F4D87C5.jpeg
    6202F974-923E-43A2-AB6B-E3410F4D87C5.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: Spetsgruppa

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
Exactly and I don’t know why. She has this original Apple MagSafe enabled case with the weird circle.
it even works well with lifeproof next so im guessing it could be the magsafe or case is faulty...my magsafe sticks well and charges well.

Mimiron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
it even works well with lifeproof next so im guessing it could be the magsafe or case is faulty...my magsafe sticks well and charges well.
Hers sticks well too, I don't know what's causing the issues. I tried charging my AirPods in a case and it worked flawlessly, I guess I'll try to charge my iPhone 11 Pro Max and report back.

Mimiron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah so it charges properly just without the case. Having iPhone 12 in any case causes battery drain. What an awful product.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Yeah so it charges properly just without the case. Having iPhone 12 in any case causes battery drain. What an awful product.

Checking back in from my previous post. Day 2 the MagSafe charged her phone to full overnight. I didn’t look at the battery to see how long it took. She did notice that when she would be using the phone while the MagSafe was on it would not gain any charge at all. If this thing is putting out 15W (using apples 20W briit should have no issue charging while in use like the 5W brick does wired.

Not writing off this charger yet. But these claims may be off, by a lot. Unless fast charging doesn’t work when the battery is at certain threshold?

Edit - I also read it throttles wattage based on thermal. While she was using it it was warm while charging but nothing too extreme. But even then wired on a 5W current charger the phone while in use.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
We know this before but wireless charging created a lot of heat. I wonder how do android phone with faster wireless charging cope with this. Do they experience similar issues. Of course since it’s Apple #MagSafe-gate. Probably same issues I’m guessing but no one cares.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.