Magsafe charger issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scubacat, Apr 27, 2015.

1. scubacat macrumors member

I purchased a Macbook Pro on Saturday and have a question about the MagSafe charger. This is my first Mac, and I know the magnetic charger is supposed to be a safety feature, but it's really annoying because it falls out with just the slightest movement of the computer. I use the computer on my couch and the charger falls out several times a day with almost any movement I make (i.e. reclining or sitting up on the couch or putting the computer down on the end table). The power outlet is right next to me, so there's not a lot of tension on the cord. Is it supposed to disconnect so easily? I thought it was only supposed to come out with more force such as someone tripping over the cord.

2. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Well as you've discovered it doesn't take much effort to pull out the Magsafe connector. This is particularly true if there is any upward or downward pressure (it just swings out that way).

If you're sitting on the couch right next to the outlet why do you need to use the computer plugged in? Apple's intention is for you to use the computer more like a cell phone, and just plug it in when it needs to charge and you're not using it. If it's one of the new ones in particular you shouldn't need to have it plugged in every few minutes. I don't even take my charger when I leave the house unless it's an overnight trip.

3. wolfedude88 macrumors regular

wolfedude88

I would assume he was using it then battery got low and was dying and it needed to be charged and he's not done using it enter.

I've had to do that a ton with mine.