MagSafe Charger Problem or Something else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by modit, Aug 1, 2013.

1. modit macrumors 6502

My brother's Macbook Pro's is exhibiting a weird problem. Whenever his MagSafe charger is plugged in and connected to his laptop, it doesn't charge. I then took that same charger to my computer (without a problem) and it does the same thing.

Now this is where get's interesting. I then unplug his charger from the wall then connect it to my laptop and it begins to charge. I quickly take his charger back to his computer and it doesn't start charge. I take it back to my laptop and it does the same thing (not charging even after doing so a minute ago).

I observed the same thing with my charger (unplug it, charge my laptop, doesn't charge his and then doesn't charge mine until I unplug and connect to my MacBook Pro).

Any ideas as to what might be the problem (dead battery)?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check out the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters, at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following FAQ.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Resetting the SMC won't hurt, but it's not likely to help in this case, since the problem appears to be with the adapter, rather than the Macs. A trip to the store sounds appropriate.

5. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: Repair Nightmare

Let me update this thread...some time has passed since the first issue occurred. Here what happend during each store visit.

First Apple Store Visit
    -The Genius repair allegedly found a lose screw sitting on the logical board (how???) which was short circuiting the MagSafe charging cycle.

Second Apple Store Visit
    -CPU Kernel Panic causes the MacBook Pro to shut off intermittently

Status: Reinstall Mac OS and run loop ASD test for 8 hours.

Third Apple Store Visit
    -CPU Kernel Panic continues to causes the MacBook Pro to shut off intermittently

Status
    -Run loop ASD test for several days and nights
    -Could not reporduce issue as reported by customer and problem logs stored on the laptop

Fouth Apple Store Visit
    -CPU issue remains (We decide to pay for an Out of Warranty Logic Board replacement [it is a CPU issue right as I understand it + my extended credit card warranty was just about to end])

Status
    -Full replacement of logic board @~$600 CAD

--------

Right now, little over a week and the repaired laptop screen has a jumbling of images not unlike my MacBook Pro issue two years ago (link). The difference is the repaired computer freezes without accepting input and only a hard reboot make it work again.

In fact, the computer after starting up reports a GPU failure.

My questions is the following.

1. Should the GPU be failing with a newly install Logic Board?
    2. Does Apple have a policy of replacing a computer with a new one after certain amount of repair?

Thank you!!!

6. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Is there a chance of water damage? I had that happen to a 2011 Model, exact same issue. They had to replace the motherboard & magsafe port on the computer. Computer showed no signs of damage apart from that.

7. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

apple only does the replacing in warranty if it exceeds a number of repairs or if they feel the time and money invested on something with multiple issues is to more then a new one then they give a new one. If you had changed the board a week back you still have a 90 day warranty take it back and they will replace it for you. If the same issue occurs speak to the manager of the store and ask for a permanent solution.

8. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope. As I mentioned in an earlier post, apparently a loose screw on the logic board was causing the initial problems.

Thanks for the advice! The laptop has been in repair for 5 days now and I haven't heard from them since.

I'll update you guys on how it goes.