MagSafe Charger Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hp88, Oct 18, 2011.

1. hp88 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    First time poster on here but I have lurked around here for years.

I have owned a MacBook white since march 2009, never had any real issues with it until this year.

First my original MagSafe failed (burnt cable) which was replaced FOC only after debating it with one of the apple genius guys.

I then had a LCD screen problem which was diagnosed by a apple genius a month ago although they still has not repaired it.

Now the third problem, Believe it or not is with the MagSafe they replaced only 5 months ago. I have booked my self in again at the genius bar for tomorrow to have it looked at but I was wondering if anyone has seen a brake like his before.

I'm started to get a little frustrated with apple now as its the second time I have suffered a problem with the power unit, my MacBook turning into death trap!

[​IMG]

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I know it sucks that you are having all these problems.. believe me when i say I have spent a fair amount of time dealing with issues. I would get apple to replace the charger and LCD. If the issue persists I would put my foot down and ask for a new unit (well refurbished) Believe it or not these things can work out for the better.
    My friend's father ad an iPhone 3gs that has countless issues.. he owned a company that had around 20 iPhones.. he said figure it out or we use RIM. Well soon enough he got a refurbished iPhone 4.

3. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Apple replaced my Magsafe that failed under Aplecare with one of those new angled ones and that one lasted about 4 months before it failed, i started off with 3 Magsafes and i have one left working, and that one has a cord i had to repair myself, the Magsafe is a seriously flawed design

4. bew macrumors newbie

Yes. I had the exact same break with the L shaped magsafe from a mid 2010 MBP. Was one month out of warranty. I purchased a second hand straight version and it blew up 6 months later (not it's fault, lightning strike) and insurance purchased a new L shaped brick. I have taped the the connecter as a precaution. I would expect a recall in the next 12 months as thousands of these things start breaking as per the last version of the magsafe brick.

I compare to my work Dell. Ugly and fat brick but super reliable and fits all their laptops for the past 7 years.

5. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I treat my Magsafes like baby's as well, and they still fail :(

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I firmly believe Apple can make across-the-board improvements in its cable strain relief technologies. All their cables (including iDevice sync cables) have rigid-ish strain non-reliefs which can't help but contribute to cable failure.

And Apple, please, make the cables replaceable!! There is absolutely no reason for the cables to be permanently affixed to the brick. The AC plug/cable isn't, why should the DC cable be? It's just senseless (and emphatically un-"green") to toss the whole damned adaptor just because the cable needs replacing.

Meanwhile: Your latest failure looks like a pull-out, though. That's an odd one. Haven't seen that before.

Having said that:

My original 2006-vintage Macbook Pro had its T-style MagSafe cable fail (at the so-called strain-relief) at 2.75 years. I now have an early-2010 MBP. My sons and my wife all have MBPs. We all commute or travel constantly. I think we have had six or seven MagSafe adaptors between us, including the extra adaptor that lives permanently at my desk. No other cable failures.

But I sure wish that cable were replaceable should a failure eventually occur.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't have a problem with MagSafe per se, however I am forced to treat it with a degree of caution not required from my lesser expensive laptops. This is because it's not very strong or durable. That's an observation, not a complaint. After all Apple does what Apple wants, without regard for others. This is nothing new, I'm aware of it, and still choose to buy the product.

I've had both the first generation and now the second MagSafe on my new MBP's and neither live up to hype Apple has spread.

As a random example, my 2002 PowerBook came with a very high quality power cord. It was very durable and flexible. It had a high quality feel to it, and was something that just screamed quality. It stood out from the rest and made one feel good about their Apple purchase.

Unfortunately my new MacBook Pro's cables are more rigid, less flexible, and the one that connects to the computer is thinner. Overall it definitively feels cheaper.

It reeks of cost cutting, which is rather disturbing considering the machine cost a full thousand dollars more than the competition. I enjoy paying for quality, but when charged a premium price for sub premium components, it leaves one very disappointed.

Such is the life of an Apple owner these days. Apple's so powerful, they can get away with whatever they want. If they didn't hype their products as so far superior, it wouldn't seem to hypocritical.

That's just my take on it :)

8. sicn macrumors member

Actually, I am now in on my third L-shaped Magsafe adapter (and it's also showing the same symptoms now, i.e. occasionally switching off and you hear the typical cracking noise). I am really starting to get tired of them constantly breaking. They survive appx 6 months, then you will have to open the wallet for a new one. However, the T-shaped adapter from my first Macbook Pro still works just fine (after three years).

So... the T-shaped one that is being recalled seems to be working better than the L-shaped one so it's about time Apple resolves this.