Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iFixit has today shared a teardown of Apple's new MagSafe charger for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro.

An X-ray of the MagSafe charger courtesy of Creative Electron reveals the internal charging coil surrounded by a circular arrangement of magnets within the puck.

gbFNgliyOV1gWsvB.huge_.jpeg

The only seam that iFixit was able to leverage to open the device was where the white rubber circle meets the metal rim, which was connected with a strong, heat-sensitive adhesive.

oa4R4lAun5ZMFhNI.huge_.jpeg

On the underside of the white cover was an etched copper sticker that traced to four corresponding leads spaced around the outside of the charging coils. Under the coils was a shielded circuit board.

lolagEJ1Mkqfld1m.huge_.jpeg

iFixit also offered a comparison with the Apple Watch charging puck, which internally appears to be surprisingly dissimilar to MagSafe. The main difference is the dark ring of magnets around the exterior in the MagSafe charger, which corresponds to magnets within the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro. The Apple Watch charger instead uses a single magnet in the center of the puck to align.

iFixit is expected to release a teardown of the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro shortly.

Article Link: MagSafe Charger Teardown Reveals Simple Design With Magnets and Charging Coil Encircling a Small Circuit Board

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
I'm curious how the magnets work with the 12's internal compass, or if the 12 even has an internal compass.

Reactions: Jimmy James

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Magnet interlocks should have been a standard feature for Qi chargers but how do they force cell phone manufacturers to include support. :rolleyes:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I loved MagSafe, but doesn't this kind of defeat a big purpose of wireless charging? Since it's held with magnets I'm going to have to grab the charger and pull it off in order to disconnect it. Isn't it more convenient to just set it down and pick it up?
This won’t work for everyone, but you could always stick the MagSafe disc onto your counter with some sticky tape or suction cups. As long as that bond is stronger than the magnetic bond on the iPhone, you’re golden.

MacBebe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2017
Sacto, Ca
I loved MagSafe, but doesn't this kind of defeat a big purpose of wireless charging? Since it's held with magnets I'm going to have to grab the charger and pull it off in order to disconnect it. Isn't it more convenient to just set it down and pick it up?

I think the magnet's purpose is to make sure that the device is aligned with the charger for proper charging. In my case, I find it sometimes that my iphone is not charged when I wake up in the morning.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Magnet interlocks should have been a standard feature for Qi chargers but how do they force cell phone manufacturers to include support. :rolleyes:
From what I understand, Apple’s providing this back to the group overseeing Qi compatibility, so they won’t have to force them, they’ll likely adopt it as a part of the standard on newer phones.

Reactions: JosephAW

philr5150

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2010
Omaha, NE
I'm glad there's a ring of magnets rather than just the one re: the Apple Watch charger, I have quite a time (no pun intended) getting the watch to perfectly align on the stand I have for it. Just a fraction off and it won't charge.

pmas76

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
This won’t work for everyone, but you could always stick the MagSafe disc onto your counter with some sticky tape or suction cups. As long as that bond is stronger than the magnetic bond on the iPhone, you’re golden.

I just installed a couple of these MagSafe chargers on my kitchen counter. I plugged them into my undermount cabinet electrical sockets, used clear tape to secure the wire to the backsplash and counter, and 3M double sided tissue tape to hold the charger to the countertop. Works like a charm!

Attachments

• IMG_3339.jpg
    IMG_3339.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 5,877
  • IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 5,743

Sam Squanch

macrumors regular
May 10, 2018
For those who have one how fast is it charging? I ask because I watched a video by MaxTech and the Magsafe charger he has is ridiculously slow compared to even the cheap chi charger he has.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Probably not much more than 2-4 dollars total cost make each one.
Add 1 dollar for packaging and boom! 39 dollars in the store.
30-34 dollars in profit on each unit, tens of millions will be sold.

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
I think the benefit of this is that it *snaps* to your phone, so you don't have to worry about alignment issues when quickly setting it down, which is common. Functionally it's the same as the Apple Watch. Personally, I think it's a good idea, but I think they messed up calling it MagSAFE and associating it with the old MacBook MagSafe because unlike the MacBooks, it doesn't provide the same SAFEty feature as shown in previous MR videos. Basically it's just an easier way to connect a charging cable to your phone. They should've just called it MagConnect or something similar (that they could trademark :rolleyes:).

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
You get something that is in-between Lightning and Qi both in regard to charging speed as well as convenience. Whether that compromise makes sense for you depends on how you value these differences.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I think the benefit of this is that it *snaps* to your phone, so you don't have to worry about alignment issues when quickly setting it down, which is common. Functionally it's the same as the Apple Watch. Personally, I think it's a good idea, but I think they messed up calling it MagSAFE and associating it with the old MacBook MagSafe because unlike the MacBooks, it doesn't provide the same SAFEty feature as shown in previous MR videos. Basically it's just an easier way to connect a charging cable to your phone. They should've just called it MagConnect or something similar (that they could trademark :rolleyes:).
Well, it is more SAFEly connected than standard Qi.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I loved MagSafe too, and setting my iPhone down on a Qi stand is. Ore convenient than this charger, but this is not so much about convenience as it is about establishing a new secure (as in securely attached) charging system, before they drop the Lightning port next year.

rubaxter

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
To lure me to iPhone, Apple needs to make recharging less frequent, not easier or gliztier once you buy the aftermarket 'certified but deliberately not included' $$$$ charging equipment. I can easily use normal QI charging, so pseuco-MagSafe is nice but not a feature I want at the expense of other, useful features. On a laptop REAL MagSafe made sense; here it's just for people who can't be bothered to pay attention or get an effective QI solution.

I didn't buy last time because of bigger battery, better reception, and speedier modem elsewhere, regardless of the longer upgrade/relevance of iPhones models. That will still rule next time.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004

Some people want that freedom to use the phone while it is charging.
If you don't, just latch down the charging puck. There are many ways to do this, from 3M Command to nanosuction tape.
We live a glorious golden age of non-destructive "artificial friction".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.