Magsafe connector on laptop case damaged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfan-cb, Sep 1, 2010.

1. macfan-cb macrumors newbie

I dropped my MacBook Pro only about 12 inches and the corner of the shell where the Magsafe connector is located was bent slightly inward. When connected to the AC power there is enough power going through to run the laptop. However, the battery is not charging and now has no green lights when I push the button on the battery. I checked and the battery has been through 129 cycles so should still be good. I'm assuming that means something was damaged with the Magsafe connection when the corner was dented. Does anyone have any advice? How much it would cost to repair the Magsafe connector? My MacBook Pro was purchased in 2007 and I have no other issues with it. Would it be worth repairing or should I get a new one?

Thanks!

2. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

Only an Apple Store or Authorised Repair person/company can quote on how much to fix the damages, and if it's cheaper than a new one and you're still happy with it, the answer is probably very straightfoward. If however you're not fussed and just need a reason to convince the Minister of Finance to get a new laptop, then this might just do it ;)

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

My friend (who has dropped his unibody MB many times), had an issue where the magsafe connector (the port on the computer) was loose inside the computer. He took it to the apple store to be fixed. They are repairing the magsafe board free of charge. Of course, he has AppleCare.