MagSafe connector patent and clones

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kenn, Jan 27, 2009.

1. kenn macrumors member

I was wondering why one see very few Magsafe adapter clones. Does anyone know if it is because of the Apple MagSafe connector patent?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That would probably be the reason, yes. No one wants to pay another company for every product they make.

3. kennyli macrumors regular

If you are talking about replacement charger, YES.

If you are talking about cloned, you must be kidding :D:D

I guess, 99% of the Magasafe Adaptor selling in eBay, specially those from China are cloned. The distribution price is about US$10, and they are selling it for US$30-40.

The cloned is just like the original. You need an expert tell the different!

Don't forget, all Apple's products are MIC ;)

4. kenn thread starter macrumors member

1) Are you certain the China "cloned" adapters actually exists?;) I've never seen them myselves but hear now and then that people sent money and receives no product???

2) Distribution price? Where to? What company can ship from China to a Western World country for 10$. I know the adapter is small but still.

3) Isn't Apple's MagSafe original adapter produced in China in the first place.

I would like to buy a few spare ones from China since I get mine stolen all the time. Just don't feel certain enough about the shipping. Anyone ever tried.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You can get loads, theyre all over Ebay, and ive personally seen them, although you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

There are companies in the US and UK actually using them openly in their produts!

Example:

Macbook External Battery, made by 3rd Party Company
    http://www.batterygeek.net/SearchResults.asp?Cat=78

Thats why I laugh when people complain the new 17" battery cant be removed and they need 2 batteries for 'field work'.

6. kenn thread starter macrumors member

Was just looking to see if I could pick one up straight from China. Found no business selling them piece wise though. Minimum number of pieces were 5:eek:.
    Wonder if the ebay prices can compete with the prices out of China?