Magsafe connector protection sticker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ampsource, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Ampsource macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

First post here. I have searched all over the internet for a simple sticker or other protection thing. A small sticker i can place on my macbook around the magsafe connector so when i attach the magsafe connector to my macbook it doesnt scrath the metal of my macbook.

I have been attaching the connector with patience a while now, but i already see some scratches on the edges of the metal on my macbook.

So my question is, does anyone know of a simple precut sticker that is made to protect your macbook's magsafe connector area from scrathes :p ? Atleast i was not able to find it anywhere on the internet or any shop.

Thanks in advance,

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Sounds like you'll need to fab your own.

Use paper to create a outline, then transfer that to a sticker.

3. alFR macrumors 68020

I really wouldn't worry about it: I have a 4 year old MBP and that has zero scratches around the Magsafe and I'm not particularly careful about attaching the connector...

4. Ampsource thread starter macrumors newbie

My Solution to the problem. Used some carbon fiber sticker, and used a razor blade to cut the sticker.

Looks pretty nice to me.

Click to view

5. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I am glad that works for you, but to me that looks worse than the minute nearly invisible scratches that the Mag-Safe could create.

I have had my 2010 MBP for about 6 months and have no MagSafe Scratches. I can assure you that I am the least careful person when putting it on too. I just slap it in the general area and it finds its way with no scratches. Same for my 1 month old MBA.

6. Newbie MacUser macrumors member

How about cutting out the magsafe dimensions out of heavy duty clear plastic tape and put it just on the side? Will the tape melt over time with the heat?

7. brentsg macrumors 68030

That reminds me of the couches with plastic protectors all over them.

8. Asherpotter macrumors member

Ugh, now you're gonna have adhesive all over that area.

9. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

It's a total non-issue. I just place the power connector somewhere in the vicinity of the power port and let the magnet pull it into place. Three years of doing that at least twice a day and there are zero scratches there.

10. HighEndMac macrumors regular

I like it bro.

11. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

THIS. A lot of protection makes me think of this frame of mind.

Oh that's great that your phone, computer, whatever is PERFECT five years from now, but it's still old and mostly-undesirable tech. It's one thing to prevent your device from breaking, but another to prevent some surface scratches or dirt/grime in minor places.

One reason I hate keyboard protectors. Why would I sacrifice five years of perfect tactile quality for $10 in resale?

12. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Absolutely. MBPs are beautiful machines, and I really can't see the sense in paying for gorgeous aesthetics that you then don't get to enjoy as you cover the machine with an ugly case or skin.

I keep my MBP in a sleeve to stop it getting scratched when slipping it into bags, but that's it. When it's in use, I want to enjoy it.

13. zerotiu macrumors regular

Magsafe is still okay because it is magnet and directly plugged to the port. I'm more worried with USB port, sometimes I don't see it and hear a little bit scratch sounds

14. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Personally - I'd rather have a 50/50 chance of wear marks in later years than to have a 100% chance looking like a goof...

15. heresjohnny macrumors member

What really screwed my 2011 17" was the thunderbolt port!!! Plugging my thunderbolt display (blindly, as it's in a well ventilated drawer) a few times a day and it looks like ****.

Never had much of a problem with Magsafe, including plugging it in the same blind spot just as many times.

On my 13" MBA, I have a best skins ever skin, and it has cut-outs for all around the ports. Works well if you are half decent at installing them.

If you want something to DIY, I'd recommend helicopter tape - it is basically the same stuff that InvisibleShields or BSE are made from, but in rolls.