Magsafe connector stupidly dunked in oatmeal

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Busoni, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Busoni macrumors newbie

I accidentally dunked the end of my magsafe connector into a bowl of oatmeal for a second. I wiped it off as best I could, but I'm wondering if I need to get a new magsafe before I plug it into my Macbook. Wouldn't want it to start burning or anything.

I did find a question about it falling into water, but I'm wondering if the oatmeal would change the situation.

This may very well be a stupid question, but I'd rather ask the question and not risk my Macbook. Thanks.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

3. Matek macrumors 6502a

Was it on when you did this. I'm guessing not, because you didn't mention and sparks flying around.

Anyway, I'd wipe it off and perhaps use a blowdryer on it for a minute, just to be sure. After that, you should be absolutely fine.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I think that I'd give it a quick rinse with some pure water and then dry it well. Hard to say what kind of oatmeal nasties got onto it and are corrosive even after they're dry (i.e. sugar, cinnamon, etc..) -GDF

5. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

6. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Get PURE water, distilled is best, deionized is perfect.

Give it a good wash, whip it, let it dry for 2 hours, you are good.

I have rescued 1 PowerMac and, iPod shuffle from the laundry, and 1 iPod shuffle that took a dunk in the ocean using pure water wash.

Pure water is almost non-conductive.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Hehe, yeah Im also wondering if you ate the oatmeal afterwards, I'm sure you did which fine. :p

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You whip your electronics?! I think that might be borderline gadget abuse. ;)

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

18.4 mega-ohms of resistance when put through a properly functioning NanoPure or MiliQ filtration FTW...

To the OP, at least your MagSafe will be nice and regular now. A good dose of soluble oat fiber never hurt anyone ;)

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

How does a PowerMac get in the laundry?

11. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Big pockets?