Magsafe Connector Water Dammage Worry!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tomwiffen, Aug 23, 2010.

1. tomwiffen macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just dropped the connector ("T" type magsafe) end of my 60w pwr supply for my Macbook in a cup of mint tea (black no sugar), it was plugged into the mains at the time but as the springs behind the pins would have been extended at the time the adaptor would not have been drawing any current at the time so am hoping I have got away without shorting any circuits?

After attempting to dry it out (and disconnecting from mains of course!), I risked plugging it back in to the laptop and the mains and it seems to work - tho I'm sure the LED is staying on for longer than it did before. Does this sound likely? Is there any circuitry in the connector itself that could be damaged?

My head says that I should just buy a new supply to be on the safe side but they are fairly pricey - if it appears to work normally can their be any risk to the laptop in doing so?

Hope someone can help!

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

My friend drop hers in tea (with sugar), she's got to take her MBP into Apple as it'll rarely charge anymore. I'd say get a new charger, don't risk mucking up your battery, Apple can be a huge pain about replacing it, regardless of how badly damaged it is, mine went down to 20 minutes battery life, and they tried to fob it off as me using it too much (110 cycles, 8% health, coming up as damaged all the time). Get it replaced now before it makes something worse crop up.

3. Pax macrumors 6502a

I got the tip of my Magsafe wet and it fried, I had to buy a new one.

I left it on the kitchen table then spilled water on the table. The puddle reached the Magsafe.

I very much doubt that it will harm your computer to plug it in and try, you might be lucky.