Magsafe converter vs Magsafe 2 adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dangerous Theory, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I've been using my Retina MBP for over a year now, and the MagSafe 2 is such an annoying adapter that requires constant re-plugging in when using the laptop in bed. The magnet appears much weaker than previous MagSafe and the 90 degree protrusion just gives it more leverage to come loose. I am considering getting a MagSafe adapter and using a MS1 adapter instead. It's not an ideal solution but from what I've seen in videos, it appears at least somewhat more robust.

I haven't been able to find any comparisons between the two charging methods so I'm wondering if anyone has the adapter available to compare? I'd love to know if the MS1 + adapter is indeed more resistant to being knocked off.

Thanks

2. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

Just wanted to share with that I've had both gens of the 15" retina's with the current gen having a much stronger magnet. I totally see what you mean as it was bothering me too with my previous system.

3. 827538 macrumors 65816

Nice so Haswell updated rMBP's see a good improvement? I just bought my first Mac, top spec 15" rMBP. After reading about this I was a bit disappointed as the charger in my Dell simply falls out for no reason, a shockingly bad design that drives me insane, was hoping being magnetic this would be better.

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

5. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

This is a very clever solution. I think I will be purchasing one if nobody can share any positive experience with the MagSafe adapter.

6. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I have the adapter - it doesn't seem to be any stronger than the MagSafe 2 directly attached. Its not been too much of an issue for me but I decided to order the Snuglet anyways.

7. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I have the adapter but I only use it for my Thunderbolt Display. My MBP sits in a TwelveSouth Book Arc so it doesn't get moved around. In my particular situation, the adapter is perfectly fine. I can, however, see how it would be a little "loose" if using it with a power cord. I've not used the snuglet but it seems a viable solution.

8. neteng101 macrumors 65816

The Snuglet works as advertised - totally makes for a much stronger connection. Of course, this means that you can literally yank the MBP off a desk by tripping up the cord, but if you're looking for a stronger MagSafe 2, get the Snuglet.

Its keyed on both sides so you can use the removal tool to pry it loose.

9. mneblett macrumors 6502

Another vote for Snuglet -- high precision machining, and just the right balance between too- and not enough- tight. Worth every penny, IMO (disclaimer, I don't know what they cost today -- I purchased mine through their Internet funding effort).

10. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

That's probably a good thing. I've seen a number of MacBooks pulled off desks by their magsafe cords, and it got worse as the machines themselves became lighter. I think Apple even sells it as a convenience feature rather than "safety" feature now.

11. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Maybe good for those that use their laptops on a desk most of the time, but I use mine on my bed and there is no issue with tripping.

12. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

are megsafe backward compatible? I have 08 laptop , and I wonder if the new charges will work on my machine.

13. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

There are two types of MagSafe, hence why the adapter exists.

14. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

In short, no. You would need to buy a Magsafe charger, not a Magsafe 2 charger.

There are two types of Magsafe chargers; the original Magsafe, and Magsafe 2. They are not compatible with each other.

Magsafe 2 was introduced with the 2011 refresh of the MBA, and is in use on all rMBP models. The original Magsafe connector is still in use on the classic MBP.

Apple sells a Magsafe -> Magsafe 2 adapter allowing you to use an older charger with a newer MBA or rMBP, but they don't sell an adapter that does the opposite.

15. goMac macrumors 603

My MagSafe 2 cable is significantly weaker than my MagSafe 1 on my Haswell. The adapter is almost too strong though. I have trouble getting it unplugged.

16. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

This x 1000. I cannot stand it. I use my laptop in bed 90% of the time, and it drives me insane. I don't think, however, that it's that the magnet was weakened. Rather, it's the physics—torque, specifically—involved in the flatter, thinner shape.

----------

I'm not picking on you, but I see this line of reasoning used a lot. If you try using it as the OP and I do, however, you'll find out why it drives us bonkers.

A super cool feature would be for Apple to make the MagSafe an electromagnet with strength that could be changed as a preference and possibly stored in firmware. This is a pipe dream that would never, ever happen for a ton of reasons, but it sure would solve the problem of different use case scenarios.

17. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

New macbook last something like 7 hours without having to be recharged, so I am guessing even if the charger unplugs it shouldn't be that annoying . Unless you use your macbook 7+hours in bed

18. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Just an update. I have had the Snuglet for a week now and it is superb. Very difficult to accidentally knock out the MagSafe adapter now, and it makes for much easier use on your duvet and between crossed legs.

19. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the update!

I just purchased the Magsafe to Magsafe 2 Converter today.