Magsafe cord, suggestions how to keep from fraying?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Tzuten, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Tzuten macrumors 6502

So Apple was nice enough to replace my year old Macbook Air Magsafe cord. I inspected the new cord and it appears to be the same design and material, so no doubt it will fray again eventually..

I've been careful with the cord since I bought the Air because I've had 2 other friends who had cords fray on them. But I still managed to fray it.

So any suggestions on how I can uhm, reinforce, the connector? It's the L connector and happens below the connector. Wrapping it with electrical tape?

2. MeatRocket macrumors regular

I think I would go to Wal-Mart or an electrical supply place and get some shrink wrap instead. It'll hold tightly to the wire and not leave all that sticky gunk that electrical tape always does.

I'd go to the electrical shop & talk to them. There are different sizes and they even have different shrink rates so you can get one big enough to fit over the connector while shrinking significantly enough to mold to the cable. Oh...and you can get them in any color.

3. Tzuten thread starter macrumors 6502

Good idea.. I'll see about doing this, and perhaps posting a vid/photo of the final results. Thanks.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I would not coil it around the built-in bracket when traveling, but rather just make a few big loops and tidy up with some velcro straps.