MAgsafe Cord

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apok, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Apok macrumors regular

So it would appear that my magsafe cord has a wee short in it. At least that's what I'm guessing. If it flexes in any direction the little light on the connector goes off and it is no longer charging. If its sitting still, then no problems. I have to unplug the whole thing from the wall and then reattach it to get it to charge again. Now, I don't know if this is a coincidence, but my batter wont charge over 97% unless I unhook it from the power supply and run the battery down, then it will charge up to 100%. However the next time I look at it, it will be right back at 97% again. This is a mid-2010 MBP. Any suggestions or am I just stuck shelling out $80 for a new charger?

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

It is also normal that your battery may not charge to 100%. The battery may appear to stop charging between 93 percent and 99 percent, because the batteries are designed to avoid short discharge/charge cycles in order to prolong the overall life of the battery. When it reaches a full charge, the light on your MagSafe adapter will turn green. This indicates that it has stopped charging your battery and you are now running on A/C power with a fully charged battery. It will not overcharge your battery. It's also perfectly safe to let your Mac notebook sleep with A/C plugged in.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I would replace the power cord because of the break in the cable (it'll eventually stop working, most likely), but as pointed out, the battery not charging all the way is not an issue.

jW

4. Apok thread starter macrumors regular

I figured that the not fully charging was just a coincidence. Though I can't seem to find a reasonable deal on a replacement cable.

5. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

6. Apok thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I think there is some cheetah print duct tap sitting around the house....

But I think I can live with it as is for now while I hunt for a reasonable deal for a new one.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I recommend you buy a new charger. As already stated, it's not the cause of not charging to 100%, but if it's truly shorting out when you flex it, it's not a good idea to keep using it. check out the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

8. techfest macrumors member

9. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

If an Apple store is clos drop in and see if they would give you a complimentary replacement. If not ask for a discount OR call Apple and ask for the same things. Doesn't hurt - charger is fairly new. I would try to hint that the problem is the quality of the charger not the users fault. I would expect my charger to last longer than a year. If it didn't I would expect a replacement.

10. Apok, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

Apok thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I went yesterday to the Apple store near my work because my magsafe charger finally died Sunday night I think. Figured it couldn't hurt to go in and ask if there was anything they could do with my MBP being out of warranty. I told my story to the genius, and despite the store being packed on a Monday afternoon they gave me a brand new magsafe. This is just another reason Apple has great customer service. I would have never gotten help like that from any other company.

It also seems to have fixed the issue with my battery not charging to 100%. Cool.

11. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

That's awesome!