Resolved MagSafe disconnecting too easily

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by navaira, Jan 2, 2016.

1. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Hi all,

I bought an Air a month ago and in the last 10 days or so it looks like MagSafe started disconnecting way easier than before. Specifically when I press it down it immediately falls out or just disconnects while staying in. I am not 100% sure but it does feel like it didn't do that two weeks ago. Would you say it's normal and it's supposed to have such weak connection?

Or should I just get a Snuglet?

Thanks in advance!

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

My 2013 MBA certainly isn't like that. I have to push down pretty hard to get it to disconnect. And even then, the magnet still holds it at the bottom, so if I remove the pressure it reconnects immediately.

3. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

Mine doesn't, which is what I find weird. I did some reading in the meantime and apparently MagSafe vs MagSafe 2 was not exactly an improvement. It's a very odd thing to "break" though, neither the plug nor socket look suspicious.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I had a 2008 MBP and 2011 MBA with the original Magsafe. I think the Magsafe 2 on my 2013 MBA is just as good, if not better, in terms of staying plugged in. I did prefer the right-angle cord on the 2011 MBA though. :)

Can you compare yours to another computer somewhere?

5. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

That's a good idea (why didn't I think of it myself :p) Going to have a visit at the Apple Store again!

6. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

This is the problem. It's "half-connected", as in the cable is in the port... but it's bent just enough to actually disconnect.

2016-01-03 10.58.55.jpg

7. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Some kind of ferrous/magnetic debris is probably stuck to the magnet inside the connector on the MacBook Air.

I've seen this a few times now (metal shavings, broken staples), and, depending on WHAT's stuck in there it can be difficult to remove.

8. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

You are correct I'm afraid. There's something dark/dusty in the corners there. No clue how to remove that :/ (also no clue how it even got there)

9. MacTech68, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I'd suggest using sometime plastic and relatively soft (so as to avoid scratching the inner surface) to try to flick/pick it out.

I certainly don't believe it's something you could claim under warranty (nor am I suggesting you think it is), but maybe your local Apple Store Genius might have a trick they can do for FREE.

Apple suggests a cotton swab (cotton bud) or a soft bristle tooth brush.

See point "8" in the article below:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

10. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I don't have any issues with my magsafe connector it fits in snuggly and only disconnects if I apply a reasonable amount force. However I just discovered some dark debris in there. I've been able to clean it all out with a cotton bud with a cleaning wipe attached to it.

11. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

Yesss. I cleaned up the dirt/dust/whatever it was with a folded piece of paper and problem is gone. I still wonder how come this even happened, but I'm glad it was possible to solve.

Thanks everyone for ideas and hints!