magsafe electrical plug


macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
So ever since I first got my macbook I've always used the extension cable for the power adapter. I still have the little plug piece that you have to swap out for the extension, I've just never used it.

Well today I discovered that it doesn't work. There's nothing wrong with the charger as a whole, because it works just fine when it's plugged in with the extension. It's just the little plug that doesn't work. I wouldn't care except that in a few months I will be heading to Peru, where they use American-style electrical outlets but only really old ones that don't have the extra hole for a 3-prong plug (which is what the extension cord has). So I had been planning on taking that little plug piece so I would be able to charge my laptop.

So my question is, is there somewhere I can buy a new one of those little plug pieces? Or am I going to have to get a whole new charger? And while we're at it, does that little plug piece have a proper name? Because I've been trying to google it and I'm just not coming up with anything. I would think you'd be able to purchase them on their own, because I'm assuming the whole reason they're detachable is so that you can buy replacements for international outlets without having to buy a whole new charger.


macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
You can get a world travel kit from the apple store. It has all the necessary plugs which will hook on to the charging block if thats what you meant.


macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
I believe that some of the iPad charging adapters use the same, or compatible, part. I use them interchangeably at least. So that's cheaper than a new magsafe.

(I'm talking about the AC adapter that look like little magsafe bricks, not the ones that look like plugs.)

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
You can get an adapter at any local hardware store for around $1 US. It will adapt your three prong cord to two prong.