Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil Lee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Manchester, UK
This morning I took my 12 Pro off the MagSafe puck and saw the battery was at 20%. I tried connecting and reconnecting the MagSafe charger and used several different USB C adapters, none of which got the iPhone 12 Pro to start charging. I did what most people would do and turned the phone off and on. This fixed the problem. The phone now charges from the MagSafe.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Hopefully it’s a one off for me.

Reactions: edhchoe

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Ordered mine on preorder night, arrived 2 days after my phone arrived, after hearing how slow it charges and that it can damage phone cases, plus you need to spend more money on a 20w adapter to achieve 15W charging.

Didn’t even bother opening the box, going straight back to apple.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have ordered magsafe with 20w charger for more future proofing more than anything else will have to see how i like it. Granted i don’t have an iphone to test it with yet for a few more weeks most likely.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68030
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
This morning I took my 12 Pro off the MagSafe puck and saw the battery was at 20%. I tried connecting and reconnecting the MagSafe charger and used several different USB C adapters, none of which got the iPhone 12 Pro to start charging. I did what most people would do and turned the phone off and on. This fixed the problem. The phone now charges from the MagSafe.

I had this happen once with a iPhone XR on a wireless charger. It wouldn't charge. Powered it off and back on and it was fine after and never did it again. ??‍♂️

Phil Lee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Manchester, UK
I had this happen once with a iPhone XR on a wireless charger. It wouldn't charge. Powered it off and back on and it was fine after and never did it again. ??‍♂️

The only time I’ve had this happen with my iPhone X was when I’d knocked it slightly on the charging puck whilst I was asleep. I’m sure the iPhone 12 Pro issue last night is a software problem as the phone wasn’t giving the connection animation when the MagSafe puck attached to the phone.

I was using one of the new Anker Nano UK chargers with the MagSafe. I also tried an 18W Apple charger and a new 20W Apple charger with the MagSafe so it wasn’t a hardware issue. The only thing I did last night was briefly set my
AirPods Pro on the MagSafe puck. They did register as charging. I took them off and put the phone on the puck but didn’t realise it hadn’t connected.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
This is a wireless charging bug unrelated to MagSafe. There's a thread on this. A restart fixes it.

Reactions: Phil Lee

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Yes, I noticed this using a Samsung fast charger. Taking it off the charger and back on start charging it again. And, as some other said, a restart too.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I have had it happen before, not yet using Magsafe. But like you said, restarting the phone fixes it.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I have three new MagSafe chargers... 1 works, 1 doesn't, and one did work, but now isn't working... tried a restart, the 1 still works, but the others don't. I had it plugged into the back of my XDR Monitor, worked intermittently. Now I have it plugged into the top of my Mac Pro and it works... I don't get it.

• Wow
Reactions: edhchoe

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
Thanks for making this thread. Saved me a trip to the Apple Store; I thought for sure it was defective.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I really don’t see a need for wireless charging. It’s not as efficient as wired and produces heat. Doesn’t take any longer to plug in charge cable than placing on charge puck. I will only use it when all means of wireless charging is removed.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I brought mine to the Apple Store, they couldn’t get it to work either. Replaced. I wonder how many are defective and how long these will last...

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009

Count me in, at least for the not charging part:
Maybe is not the charger the problem but the iPhone 12Pro
second time charging at night with old brick 5w + old cable , both original, used for iPhone 8
and in the morning it was at 70% once and 80% today and the battery icon was still green while connected
Unplug and plug it back then is ok. Should I worry about the iPhone or the brick?

Last edited:

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Is it even worth using the MagSafe? I’m also hearing from people it’s producing heat to the back of the phone is that also true?
I've used it now for two nights. So far, I like it better than plain old QI charging... but yes, it does produce heat. The heat hasn't been excessive in my case, I'd call it "warm."

The problems I had with wireless charging before were mostly due to alignment. My Pixel 4XL was super finicky about alignment, even with Google's Pixel stand. Sometimes I'd have to put the phone on the charger 2-3 times before I got the right exact spot and it would finally start charging.

Before the pixel stand, I used many different "puck" style chargers. Sometimes overnight I'd accidentally knock the phone off-center with my arm or pillow and wake up to an uncharged, or super-hot phone. When wireless charges aren't properly aligned, they produce more heat. MagSafe solves the alignment issue... but is still wireless charging.

For me, the only real advantage I see of wireless charging is for ease of use in a car. You'll be able to mount and charge the phone with one quick motion in the car. For home use, I see less utility.

I DO have a generic "YooTech" easel style charger at my desk that I always put my Pixel onto while working. That was kind nice as it kept my phone charged, and also let me see incoming notifications at a glance. Also... unlike wired charging, I don't need to remember to "unplug" the phone. I had several instances in the past where I forgot I plugged the phone in, picked it up and walked away only to get "bungee corded" back haha.

Oct 27, 2020

Mine did that too but instead at 14 percent and has intermittently stopped and started charging my device. It even showed the battery charging icon. It feels like a Software issue more than hardware IMO but time will tell :). It sucks because I am in Vegas and had to track down a lightning to usb C charger when my plane landed lol because I had the MagSafe as my only charger for iPhone 12 pro. The concierge at the hotel were able to track one down for me ?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
You only get max charging speed if you use Apple 20 watt charger. So keep that in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.