Magsafe Fails for the 3rd Time!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zecchin, Mar 19, 2011.

1. zecchin, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

zecchin macrumors newbie

So, i bought my macbook pro 13" mid 2009 model brand new, 15 months. Everything is great, other than my bad luck with this magsafes power adapters.

It all started after 8 months of use, the magsafe that came with my mbp started to show some malfunction, until the day it completely stoped working.

At that time i had my uncle in the US so i asked him to get me a new one, which he did. After 3 more months of use, this one, also, pff... dead.

Than i went to a mac premium reseller here in Brazil, and they've managed to exchange the first one, since my mbp was still within warranty. Guess what? 3 months of use now, and it's starting to show malfunction signs, it simply stops working until i move the cable a little, than it restarts charging, same happened to the previous 2.

The apple warranty at that reseller store even managed to get me a new logic board, at least the guy said he did. But i had no luck with the second adapter, since i didn't have proof of purchase ( i lost it ) , they couldn't give me a new one.

I have 2 questions about all this:

- Have anyone here have such bad luck with this power adapters?

- I'll be in NY in 20 days. Will i have any luck on getting a new adapter if i bring my second power adapter with me to make the switch? It's not 1 year old yet, but i don't know where the proof of purchase is.

My mbp is out of warranty by the way, so i don't think i'll be able to get a new magsafe from the one that is now starting to show malfunction.

Please, Tell me what you think.

Cheers,
    Zecchin

2. petsk macrumors 6502

petsk

Oh yeah... I bought a MBP less than one year ago and my first power adapter broke after 2-3 months. Now the replacement adapter died the other day :mad:

This was the case of my original power adapter too. I'm not sure what is wrong with the other one. My power connector is the newer "L" style type: [​IMG]

I'm still under the 1-year warranty until next month, so I guess I will get a replacement adapter without questions. But if this one also ends up dead like the other ones, I will for sure demand a new adapter no matter if I'm under warranty or not!

This is low quality crap and Apple should fix it! :mad:

3. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

My power adapter broke 3 times... I got it replaced for free, the last time 1 year after the warranty expired. Just complain properly : )

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

Look, this design was a trade-off. The magsafe design chose damaging the power cord rather than damaging the computer. Before this, tugging on the cord meant weakening solder joints inside the machine and eventually replacing the DC-in board, which may or may not have been expensive. Now, the stress virtually all goes into the cable, so the cables fail more, but the machines fail less. It's a good thing.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

And proving the point that it all depends how you look after your leads ;)

6. zecchin, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

zecchin thread starter macrumors newbie

The original that came with my mbp was the T type. But both my adapters now are this L type too. The replacement one is a mix though, the Magsafe itself got replaced but the power cord that connects it to the plug was still working so i didn't get a new one.

I guess i will just try to do that, will bring both the adpaters with me. Maybe i even get 2 new adpaters, since i actually bought 1 that failed and have the replacement one that now is showing signs of malfunction and won't last much. It's kinda sad having a mbp and not being able to use it because you can't charge it, though i understand this might be protecting it from being the next one to fail.