Magsafe failures?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr MM, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I was wondering if this issue is constant for you guys:

I received my first mbp, and on the first day, when I was changing it from one wall socket to the other, the magsafe stopped providing power. I did the SMC reset as per applecare instructions, and was advised to swap for a new one, which I did.

Today again when I was swapping it to another power socket the problem reappeared. I followed the troubleshoot guide at apple and let the magsafe unplugged for a few min, then suddenly voila its working again.

So what do you guys think?
    should I pissed, and call for another magsafe,

or this is something that I should be pissed and is a design problem with the magsafe itself?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So your leaving it connected to the mb when you change the mains socket??

3. Mr MM thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr MM

yes I am

4. Jayzee162 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm having problems with my Magsafe as well. I bought my very first Macbook Pro 13 inch the core i5 model the first day it came out. Just a few days ago, my magsafe would only work occassionally, like something is loose in the wiring. I've checked out the reviews for the magsafe @ the apple store website and it has pretty awful reviews. Most of them replaces the magsafe about 3x a year. At this rate, I'm on pace to replace them at 3x per year, too. I would like to know what everyone's experience is on this. Is it normally a problem or did I just get a bad batch? I have an appointment with Genius Bar this friday.

5. Minhthien macrumors 6502

My old mbp did not have this problem but my newest 2011 sometime it would turn off its light meaning not charging. I had to unplug and replug couple time and it work again. When you leave the magsafe plug even when its not charging it should be green all the time right?

6. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

That might be your problem right there.

7. Mr MM thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr MM

thats kind of ludicrous to say the least, have been using laptops for quite a while and used 10+ never found this problem anywhere