Magsafe Falling Apart

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TommyBNSF, May 9, 2011.

1. TommyBNSF macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I work on my bed with my MBP 13" and I have the newer magsafe connector and the power plug is usually on my right. It fell apart as shown in the picture below. I know I probably shouldn't be using this right now, but it's my only one right and I gotta save up for a new one (I'm not very rich). Also, my computer has shut down randomly if I move it. I am very disappointed with Apple on this and not making the cable stronger. It's a very good connector and philosophy, but this is a big flaw I've seen.

Attached Files:

2. TommyBNSF thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, I'm sorry this is Macrumors, not Mac-forums. Wrong forum.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Seems to be user damage. Own up and buy another one.

Why don't we have some photos of you, the connector, with mac forums?

4. dslrjunky macrumors regular

change your window curtains while you're at it... :D

5. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Lol

This kind of post is perfect if you want to try out your new flamethrower!!

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

My 2010 MBP cable came apart on the inside, (love the magsafe as my dog will pull it out pretty much every other day)
    Took it to the Genius bar and they replaced it free after I explained what happened. Can't hurt to ask.

7. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

Ignore the rude remarks and contact Apple. Could be that they might offer to replace it free. You never know and it's worth a try!

8. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

wow, never seen that happen before. usually mag-safe damage is done at the part of the cord closest to the charger due to wrapping the cable around the clips way too tightly

9. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Yup I see that a lot. In fact, I've gone through 2 MagSafe chargers in the last 3 months :(. I ended up buying a cheap backup knockoff Chinese charger just in case my official charger bites the dust again.

10. mape2k macrumors regular

I love how you aligned your face (which has this classic "very annoyed" expression btw) with the broken Magsafe!

11. taitai macrumors newbie

Not again!

Assuming this isn't user damage of course, but, I had a 2nd gen Intel MacBook that had two magsafe connectors melt in a similar fashion. Apple store took them both back and handed me new ones, no questions asked. That was also in 2006 and there were a rash of PSUs that kept eating themselves. :/

12. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

13. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

are you pulling/tugging at the cable to disconnect it? I tend to stay away from the newer magsafe chargers because of the one-way design it restricts me to. I also buy chargers off of ebay 10 at a time since the school I work for goes through so many. $17 shipped/each I could care less if a few melt themselves away

14. vant macrumors 65816

How can this NOT be user damage?

Seriously. Stop blaming Apple for not making it 'stronger', I wouldn't blame them if I dropped my phone on pavement.

15. jtara macrumors 65816

Go to the Genius Bar and be nice. Don't complain and tell them it's their fault when they tell you they are giving you a one-time courtesy replacement or repair. Say "thank you".

16. RockPortTech macrumors regular

Looks like user damage to me as well, be more careful with you stuff.

17. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

My grandma has those same curtains in her house... hey, wait a minute, those are my grandma's curtains! What are you doing in her house?!?!