Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkSorrow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
There is reports of MagSafe shielding is faulty. Today, i just plug in my MBP to charge and noticed my LCD's light was dimming back and forth, then i see my MagSafe is changing colors. couldn't figured why that happen, it the first time it happen to me, i noticed the shielding is torn and exposed the wire. i was so careful with my MagSafe and surprised this happens.

So i ask my friend if he have the same problem, and he never does. so i call AppleCare, i got disconenct from the phone call two times and the last one is put on waiting for 15 mins. Screw that, im not going to waste my time and really need a new MagSafe because i am using my MBP for schooling everyday. so i went ahead and ordered my 85w MagSafe for MBP, cost me 104 bucks with overnight shipping.

While i was looking at reviews for that power adapter, look like i am not the only one with this kind of issue, many of them claimed their MagSafe shielding is frayed or torn.

I was checking the model number with my frayed MagSafe and the new MagSafe i will be getting it tomorrow, they are different but Apple Store said it 85W for MBP. Did Apple redesigned their MagSafe to avoid recalls for MagSafe? or something going on?

And do anyone have their MagSafe frayed?

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
There was a post about the ac adapter lead fraying here in the past, I can't be bothered looking it up for you _BUT_ yes heaps of people have that issue, myself included. Hopefully Apple have done something to address the issue, can't say I care though I ordered a new adapter and sold my MacBook Pro a while back.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Isn't it a bit stupid to buy a new adapter then selling your MBP?? :p

Anyways to the OP, you should really talk to Apple and get a new one, since they are the ones responsible for making crap quality products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.