magsafe - for all macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crizal, Apr 3, 2011.

1. crizal macrumors newbie

hi, i was wondering if its possible to use a mafsafe adapter with all macbooks, macbook pros and macbook airs? my sister has a white macbook (last revision) and i have a mbp late 2010.. so if the answer is yes, then i wont take my magsafe to the vacation and instead use my sisters.. :)

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can use them on all Macs with MagSafe. Depending on the wattage, it might charge slower on higher wattage MBPs.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but the lower watt ones, 45 & 60, may not be able to power the bigger Macbook Pros. But the highest watt, 85, will safely power all Macbook/Pros.

4. crizal thread starter macrumors newbie

but in the end, all the magsafe adapters are the same and standard, right?

except maybe the design? cause i have also seen some with different connector designs?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. simsaladimbamba

It is the same design, just different wattage. 45W for the MBA, 60W for the 13" MB/P and 85W for the 15" and 17" MBP.
    Some more visible information at the Apple Online Store: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/power?mco=MTM4MjU0OTk

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Not quite. Apple recommends that you do not use lower wattage power adapters on laptops that require higher wattage as it can cause problems with the SMC and the battery.

8. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

I think Apple needs to release one with a wattage of 87 in order to keep up with the output of the 15" MBPs which apparently, when the GPU and CPU is under load, use more energy than they receive.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Op your right there were two designs the original looked like a 'T' the new design is an 'L' but the actual connector hasn't changed.

Ideally you need to take the supply with the greatest wattage. If you take the lower wattage you will need to make sure your MacBook pro is powered off to charge it with any speed.

10. crizal thread starter macrumors newbie

well, if its so, then it might be better to take the own adapter with.. its not that heavy either.. just wanted to know, thanks a lot..

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Intel-Based Apple Portables: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord--US

12. simsaladimbamba, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Okay, but I used a 60W adapter with a 17" MBP successfully and haven't had any issues, but I used it the other way around more anyway.
    Thanks for pointing it out.

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I didn't say it wouldn't work. Just that Apple doesn't recommend it and the potential negatives.

14. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Lower wattage ones will work. However, if your MBP goes dead from the battery running out, the lower wattage one will not be able to kick start it - even if you charge it while the laptop is closed.