Magsafe Has Yellow LED while Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anirban, Sep 12, 2008.

1. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Hello all!

so while chilling here and waiting for Ike to give me a spectacular show, I saw that my Magsafe has suddenly decided to glow yellow (i.e. both green+amber). This happens only when I am charging the computer.

It is still charging fine, and the battery seems ok too. I restarted the machine, changed powerpoints, but it wont be glow amber. I am just waiting to see if it turns green once charged.

Any ideas on what the "yellow" glow could mean?

Thanks a lot!

2. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

Green and amber?

It's happened to me once or twice before. If it's still working fine, I wouldn't worry too much; however, I'd still talk to a Genius and perhaps get a replacement. Have you tried plugging in other MagSafes?

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I bet you are not getting the 85w out of the charger.

4. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Nope, this is the only Magsafe I own.

I am a little confused- if it is not supplying the 85W, then does that mean its not really charging? It shows that the battery is being charged, so do you think its a false reading?

Thanks for the replies guys.

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

it will charge at a lower voltage, just slower. i would have it checked out before your house burns down.

6. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yeah, it seems like a "Genius" needs to look at it. I don't see any amber, always yellow. Even though I have not noticed any difference in charging times, Id better have it checked out.

I have to wait until Houston opens up :(.... might do some cleaning myself

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

just to note, 85w is the max. Unless you're running power intensive apps while charging its gonna be hard to max the magsafe out. because if the magsafe is maxed out, battery power is brought in as a buffer (which is why the computer downclocks the CPU if the battery is removed). So if your battery is charging much slower than normal, that could be an indication.

try giving apple a call.

8. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Good call, but that situation should not be grounds for MagSafe to glow yellow- would it? I was using it to charge when the computer was sleeping, running a game under windows XP (bootcamp), and general word processing stuff. It was yellow all the time.

Yeah, I might give Apple a call soon. Thanks!

9. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Couldnt you use a app like CoconutBattery to see if its charging properly?

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

its probably charging but there's a defect in the magnetic head. Apple will probably replace it for you.

11. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Hopefully. Another thing I am noticing is that after the magsafe turns green (fully charged) and I disconnect it, the green LED stays on! I kid you not! I was surprised, and when I disconnected it from power and reconnected, it was fine.

I repeated the process and again- the green LED stayed on after being disconnected from MBP. I hope this doesnt die on me for the next couple of days, until the Apple store reopens.