Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
The MagSafe connector is pretty durable. I've used numerous MacBooks and MacBook Pros and have yet to find one that has issues. Just don't have animals chewing on the connector and it should be fine.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Haven't had a problem with mine ...

Tip: When disconnecting it, grab the connector, don't just yank the wire.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I was just looking into a MBP, and read some stories about the MagSafe.

According to Wikipedia, users have complained about the durability of the MagSafe connector since last year. Does anyone know if Apple has addressed this issue or whether this issue is prevalent?

Thanks.

Yes, they have.

I actually heard an inside story involving the Steve himself as to why the original plugs were so crappy from a few Apple insiders. But yes, the plug is fixed now, and the strain relief on it is longer.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
i love my magsafe adapter. it has saved my macbook many of times. does anyone know if they make something like that for pcs ? just the 2 magnet ends and adapter?

spacecadet610

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
i've actually experienced this magsafe issue. the cable near the magsafe part frayed such that the cables inside were exposed. The magsafe no longer worked.

not sure what it was related to.. maybe heat melted it?

Called apple and they sent me a free new one. Never had an issue since.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I've used the same MagSafe that came with my MacBook Pro throughout its life.

The Adapter is almost 3 years old and it still works fine and I use this machine every single day. I disconnect and reconnect the cable at-least once or twice per day and I'm constantly moving the laptops orientation (Putting stress on the cable as I do so). The only issue I've encountered is the little LED inside the end of the connector doesn't work anymore. BUT the connector still charges fine.

In comparison with the old power connector they used (The Circular non-MagSafe one) I had to replace two of those adapters within 14 months of ownership of my PowerBook G4. Those adapters were crap and both times that it died I had exposed electrical wires at the connector end that plugs in to the Laptop. I didn't abuse these adapters, just normal wear and tear from plugging in and out.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
i've actually experienced this magsafe issue. the cable near the magsafe part frayed such that the cables inside were exposed. The magsafe no longer worked.

It was the strain relief. The white rubber wrapped around the cord at the end before the square magsafe thing. It was too short and the cable would come out. The new ones are longer (they were changed around the time of the rev b or c Macbook Pro).

What I heard was that the strain relief was originally longer, but Steve said it looked bad, and he had the engineers shorten it to an unsafe size.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
The magsafes had some terrible fraying issues before. Its not a fanboy issue. It is resolved now i believe however.

He's looking into getting a new MBP however, i believe even the refurbished machines usually come with new Magsafe connectors so i believe the fraying problem wouldn't affect him.

We shouldn't hype up some massive problem and put him off buying an excellent computer.

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA

Called apple and they sent me a free new one. Never had an issue since.

Ditto, except I took it into the store. They looked at it and gave me a new one. The new one has been perfect.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
He's looking into getting a new MBP however, i believe even the refurbished machines usually come with new Magsafe connectors so i believe the fraying problem wouldn't affect him.

We shouldn't hype up some massive problem and put him off buying an excellent computer.

Yup, i think the magsafe issue has been resolved for a few years now actually.

And to Tuff, nope, same style as always.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Sort of off-topic, but speaking of refurbished machines, I was looking at some of the refurbished models at the online Apple store and really wish they had some basic 15" models available!

If you wait a few days, they might get some - you have to keep checking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.