Magsafe in spirit at least...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhiteWhaleHolyGrail, Jan 19, 2017.

1. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

Nov 14, 2016
    I just had a scare -

I had my TBMBP plugged in as I watched a movie on my bed and as I got up to close a window I marched straight through the power chord! Once I recovered from my heart flatlining and a little rocking back and forth as I checked my precious for damage, I realised that the cable had slid out without issue, thus saving my laptop a la Magsafe of yesteryear. I have commented elsewhere that the ports loosen up and it appears that they do sufficiently to allow the cable to detach if you trip over it. I am certainly grateful as I have hardwood floors and so had the cable stayed attached, things could have been very ugly indeed.

Hopefully I never inadvertently prove this theory again.
  2. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

Jan 1, 2011
    What up, 212?!
    Hey, that's good to hear... but hopefully the ports don't loosen so much that whatever is attached doesn't stay in place.
  3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

Nov 23, 2011
    :eek: Glad it worked out okay, though take it as a lesson learned about vigilance!
  4. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

Jun 27, 2016
    Glad your MBP didnt hit the floor.

I too noticed that a USB port i use with a dongle has become 'looser' in the span of just over a week. I've actually subconsciously started limiting how many time i plug/unplug the dongle. I really hope it doesn't get to the point where it'll be difficult to maintain the connection.
  5. Benny L macrumors member

Benny L

Jan 17, 2017
    Vegas baby
    I guess that is the 1 beef I have with my MacBook Pro 2016 is no MagSafe.
    I loved that feature on my older MacBooks, but with usage I am getting used to it.
    we will see how this new one's longevity is .
    great that no damage was done though , with your mishap.