Magsafe indicator light issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by helix21, Jan 18, 2010.

1. helix21 macrumors regular

Hey,
    The magsafe adapter on my late 2008 unibody macbook is acting oddly

1. Doesnt go orange any more at all when charging, goes to really dim green so I am suspecting a problem with the indicator light

2. When I remove it, the green light as if by magic, actually stay on for a good minute after I disconnect it from the laptop and unplug it (so no current at all)

3. If I dont unplug from the mains, the green light never goes out.

Charging is working fine so thats good. I am still in the first year of my mac so I reckon I should ask for a replacement because there might be something more sinister going on and you dont to take chances for a power source.

Now because I am over the 90 day telephone support, is my only option to go to an apple store (30 miles away, in the UK)? Is there a free tech support I could call?

Thanks

2. Gomff macrumors 6502a

If you ring Apple support, you should be able to request that they send you a new power supply in the post. They will reserve the value of it on a credit card, but as long as you return the faulty one in the packaging provided (postage is free), they won't charge you.

I've had this a couple of times with a faulty superdrive and GPU and it's usually quite speedy.

3. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers.
    By apple support you mean the general number they give you when you have that 90 days support thing?

4. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Did exactly what you said.

What a brilliant breath of fresh air their customer service is compared to HP.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

More like a brilliant breath of fresh English.

6. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Yeah I love apples customer service. Such a joy to deal with.

7. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Glad you got it sorted :D