Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

socamx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
Okay, has anyone had this problem happen before? I was cleaning up yesterday and I looked at my Macbook Pro's magsafe brick, and the insulation isn't covering up the wire at the brick. Check the attachment for an image of it.

Has this happened to anyone before? The moment I saw it I instantly thought of the older Magsafe adapters burning up. (This is the redesigned one.)

So is this Apple's fault? Or are they going to wind up charging me like $80 for another adapter.

Also, it isn't like I tug the adapter around via the wire. It just sits there, all day.

Attachments

• magsafe.jpg
    magsafe.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 123

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Okay, has anyone had this problem happen before? I was cleaning up yesterday and I looked at my Macbook Pro's magsafe brick, and the insulation isn't covering up the wire at the brick. Check the attachment for an image of it.

Has this happened to anyone before? The moment I saw it I instantly thought of the older Magsafe adapters burning up. (This is the redesigned one.)

So is this Apple's fault? Or are they going to wind up charging me like $80 for another adapter.

Also, it isn't like I tug the adapter around via the wire. It just sits there, all day.

Just take it in to an apple store if you have one nearby and they should give you a new one no questions asked. Call the store before just to let them know you are coming in with a frayed adapter. If you can't get to a store, call apple and let them know. In any case, if you need to have it plugged in to charge your computer, get some electrical tape covering the exposed part on it right away.

socamx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
I did just that, went to the nearest Apple store today. Hardest part was getting wedged in for help. Place was swamped but I wasn't going home with a fire hazard...

They did replace it with no questions asked however, thankfully.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Yup my Rev A. MacBook Pro MagSafe caught fire one time and everyone here accused me of being a liar:rolleyes: Yet Apple seemed to agree with me. I got a new one no questions asked as well. However that machine has been replaced by a 2.16 Core 2 Duo and then that one was replaced with a 2.2 SR MBP. Too many problems. This one however is absolutely perfect!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.