Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Why the heck did Apple choose to use the name "MagSafe" for that iPhone charger when it does absolutely nothing to keep the phone "safe" from falls if the wire is tripped? That "MagSafe" iPhone charger is indeed "mag," but it is not "safe."

The MagSafe connector for the Mac (introduced under CEO Steve Jobs) detached from the Mac when the wire was tripped, therefore keeping the Mac safe from falling off a desk. The MagSafe connector for the iPhone (introduced under CEO Tim Cook) will send the iPhone falling off desks to the ground with a high probability of breakage if the wire is tripped.

For all the people here defending the use of the "MagSafe" name for that iPhone charger, I really want to know why you think it was a good idea for Cook to allow the use of that name when it does not have any of the safety functionality of the original MagSafe connector for Macs. Please tell us why you think the use of the MagSafe name is a good idea for that iPhone charger.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Its not a disgrace, its typical from Apple, they do recycle any component/design until its fully paid for itself
e.g iPhone SE 2020 using iPhone 8 chassis, prior iPhone components
Same for naming lol
Airpods Max, Magsafe
Do not need much R&D, its environmental/ecological!

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
My kids ruined an iPad lightning port. They picked up the iPad as it was plugged into a 6 foot cable. They ran off with it, only to be bungee corded back. The lightning connector came loose, but not before the port was bent and destroyed. In such a scenario, the new "Magsafe" is absolutely safer than the standard cord. A magsafe puck would have fallen off the iPad harmlessly in this scenario.

Admittedly "MagCharge" would be a more apt name, but it is without a doubt in my mind "safer" to the device than a cord... even if it doesn't solve the tripping problem.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Well it seems a lot safer as a magnetic mount than other solutions out there. I don't know how many time my Plus/Pro phone has fallen off the Sosche magnetic charging mount....but has yet to with a magsafe mount.

Reactions: svanstrom

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm sure Apple thought about and did some usability tests to determine the strength of the magnets used in the "magsafe" charger. Too little and people would be complaining it comes off too easily. Too strong and you would have complaints about removal.

No matter what Apple did they would not be able to please 100% of the customers.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I assumed the "Safe" was in reference to how the magnet is strong enough to stay attached under stress. Keep in mind that the MagSafe charger is just one of the multiple products in that line - there are cases, wallets, stands, wall mounts, car mounts, etc where the name makes sense since you expect the magnets to be strong enough keep the phone from falling on the ground. Even if you don't like the name, who cares? The MacBook Air doesn't float and the Magic Keyboard doesn't perform witchcraft, but I'm not going to complain about it.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
I assume OP would have better name suggestion?
The only downside to Magsafe: its confusing with original Magsafe for Macbook

Reactions: svanstrom

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I assume OP would have better name suggestion?
The only downside to Magsafe: its confusing with original Magsafe for Macbook
True, but it would only be confusing to Macbook users.....much fewer than iPhone users...

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
True, but it would only be confusing to Macbook users.....much fewer than iPhone users...
True. When i heard the iPhone 12 is gonna include Magsafe i was like wow cool. I can use my MB charger on it. Turns out its a different thing.

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
I have one but don’t particularly like it. Lead is too short and phone needs prising off rather than just picking up like a normal charging mat..yeah...I know...the magnet is the whole point. Just my opinion. Definitely could do with a longer lead. Think the name is misleading I suppose. Handy for my AirPods though....

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The name is dumb for the iPhone. I agree. But the technology is great.

What will be interesting is that I suspect the portless future iPhone will actually be a magnetic port of some kind. I'm assuming Apple will name it something else as MagSafe is now taken.

stevenaaus

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Yah... re-using the old magsafe name for a completely different product was just another idiot moment from modern Apple. Insultingly stupid :(, seeing as the original magsafe was so awesome and should never have been removed in the first place.

And goodness knows how they'll market the real magsafe power conection if they bring it back (as rumoured) in new macbooks.

Reactions: ThomasJL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.