MagSafe is evil! (Dents/Dings)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jackyyeow, Aug 13, 2011.

1. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

I don't know what kind of metal Apple used on the MagSafe connector (metal part), and I had it knocked on my MBA twice and each left a tiny ding/nick on the aluminum case when I unplug it and try to roll up the cable and the cable some how just swing around. Both hits were on the edge of the machine. It was pretty light knock and it'll take away some the of finish. It appears that the connector was made of some material that's harder than the aluminum body.

Keep the MagSafe connector away when it's not plugged in. :mad:

Having clear skin on my MBA did not help, it cover like 95% of the area but the MagSafe chosen to knock on the area where the skin's not covering. Kinda render the skins useless in a way. Oh well, I can sort of enjoy my MBA more freely instead of baby it like a crazy guy.:eek:

2. calvol macrumors 6502a

Don't let it hit your screen! It will crack it!

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

MagSafe isn't evil; only careless handling of it is.

4. jackyyeow thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your comments but that didn't help my feeling.:p

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Isn't "careless handling" the reason why MagSafe exists?

Personally, im not into aesthetics and shiny as much as some people are so the MagSafe is by far the most attractive thing on a MacBook.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I doubt there's anything we can say that would help your feelings or fix your Mac, but surely you weren't expecting that, right?

7. jackyyeow thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. This is more like a rant thread, but just to remind you guys to be more careful with handling anything made of metal when the MBA is around, especially something that's inevitable like MagSafe.;)

I wouldn't worry about plastics or soft materials and through some (limited) experiences the aluminum body is pretty durable. But when it comes to metals, especially those with edges, be careful.

8. jackyyeow thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I think the MagSafe is a great idea, and I glad Apple took the effort to do it. I don't blame Apple because of my situation, but as mentioned above, this thing is toughly built and will make a tiny wholes on your MBA or MBP once it hit right on. Make sure you keep the MagSafe further away from your machine when you unplug it and doing anything potentially making the connector swinging around.

9. Queen6, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

[​IMG]
    "He was wrapped too tight for Vietnam; probably wrapped too tight for New Orleans" & definitely the Mac ;)

10. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I liked the older magsafe. Like the one on my older 2008 MacBook. I still don't understand why they have the wire coming out of one end. I'd prefer it like the old one.

11. qwerf123 macrumors regular

I hate the right angled cable as it can at times be awkward to plug in!

Wish Apple could make it pivot if you don't what it like that or sell the older MagSafe chargers at different power outputs!

12. hasty1991 macrumors newbie

It's pretty easy to be 'careless' with it given the strength of the magnet.

13. drxcm macrumors regular

They changed it because there were problems with the older models. The cable got damaged too easily where it came out of the connector. There were dozens of complaint threads over all the forums saying it was a poor design.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

15. hasty1991 macrumors newbie

16. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that while coiling the cable, the connector end just hit your MBA causing a dent?

Or are you saying that you kept the MBA and the MagSafe in the same bag and during transport it made a dent?

Or are you saying that just repeatedly plugging and have it unplugged (because of some force on the cable) causes deep scratching near the MagSafe female end?

17. maclook macrumors 65816

Same. I like the look of the new magsafe but hate the right angle design

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Never had any problems with mine but I guess maybe I didn't move my adapter around enough for anything like that to happen.
    Exactly! love the way it looks it's just harder to plug in

19. jackyyeow thread starter macrumors 6502

This.

Same will be happening if I going to coil up USB cable, or headphone cable for that matter. The MagSafe didn't have a single scratch after those 2 knocks though.:eek:

There was a previous thread about Macbook Air being a dent collector. While I wouldn't go all out and say that, but the aluminum body is pretty easy to collect a dent if something made of hard metal give a knock on it, with the right angle (mine are on those sharp edges on the outline of the chassis).

20. urkel macrumors 68030

Yup. Ive had to replace a Magsafe brick 7 times in the last few years due to problems like this:
    [​IMG]

I tried several power strips, plugging through a UPS, plugging in other houses but never figured out exactly why it happened so often to me but Apple was always very quick to replace it with no questions so I assume it was a common issue. The same thing happens with my iPod sync cables so I'm really curious if anyone has any good theories as to why.

BTW. The Air is my first experience with these new right angle magsafes and so far I prefer it.

21. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Not a bad thing to keep in mind. I guess I could see how the magsafe could hit the laptop and damage it.