MagSafe is so fake!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 5DollaFootlong, Jul 5, 2009.

1. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

Alright, my little sister just tripped on my aluminum macbook power cord. Apple advertises that the connector just pops out. Guess what happens. the charger falls out of the socket with its prongs bent. the connector is still in my macbook. now i have a demented charger. I always knew there was something fishy about the MagSafe (besides it burning down people's houses) This is extremely frustrating and I am going to my local apple store to get a replacement adapter.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm, I have had five notebooks with MagSafe chargers, without problems.

Maybe it's just a magic trick?

3. kshat28 macrumors member

This has happened to me before too, but most of the time i find it works as advertised

4. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

I think the advertised feature of the Mag Safe is to protect the Laptop - the more expensive item in question and not so much the charger. Obviously she tripped over the cord closer to the charger end rather than the laptop or that would have released. All you need is the button connector which isn't too bad in my opinion. Hopefully your little sister didn't get hurt.

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Physics!

If she trip near the charger it would be almost impossible to snap out the mag-safe.

The Mag-safe prevents your computer to get pulled of your desk, which have saved mine several times.

You just have to replace the prongs which should only be a few bucks should be cheap, you should not have to replace the charger, a macbook falling three feet could be a disaster.

6. freesonwang macrumors member

With the prongs bent? That's happened to me too...but you know that the thing that's supposed to pop out is the cable not the adapter right? It should still work with bent prongs if that is any consolation. :)

7. 5DollaFootlong thread starter macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

thankyou for your perspective i honestly didn't see it that way the computer is wat matters, not a charger. does anyone know if apple care would cover this.

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

Nope...

9. MacGnG macrumors member

MacGnG

my only problem is that the dog disconnected my macbook during the night while it was charging and the battery is dead when i wake up in the morning.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Obviously she was much closer to the outlet part.....isn't that comment sense?

Do some people think there is some sort of sensor in the magsafe that ejects it if it feels a tug :confused: I really don't get what the OP is talking about

11. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I thought be the title of your thread your macbook fell down, but be grateful your laptop was saved from any damage! Chargers are easy to replace, but accidental damage isn't as cheap or simple to repair.

12. 5DollaFootlong thread starter macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

sorry for making my post kinda confusing. i was just kind of shocked that the charger's prongs were twisted rather than the magsafe just popping out. it just stayed in my computer. i was a little bit stupid because i didn't take into consideration the fact that my sister tripped near the power cord. sorry about this thread :'(

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

The Magsafe "gimmick" works really well, but it just depends on where the cord is run exactly-

I have an outlet on the right side of my couch and I tend to run the cord right behind the laptop which is not the best place because when tugged it can pull the laptop across the ottomon or off my lap if one of my kids trips on it. The cord should really NOT be run under the laptop or right behind the screen to the opposite side if you want magsafe to work best.

It is all about limiting damage to the laptop- doesn't prevent all accidents, but sure helps.

See this apple support doc. for better pictures of what I mean not running it behind or under....

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1630

14. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Yep, magsafe saved my blackjack from a nasty fall today when my older cat took offense :mad: :mad: :mad: at something the younger one was doing and went to adjust the brat's outlook on life. :confused: :eek: :( :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

If I'd had been using my 12"G4 powerbook when the cat leaped from the arm of the couch, either the cat or the powerbook would be dead by now, because she charged right into the cord lying across the space between the couch and coffee table.

Magsafe did exactly what it was supposed to do, popped the connector off the laptop and the cord fell harmlessly to the floor. I did not happen to have my hands over the keyboard at that moment, as I was reaching for a magazine; there was nothing to keep the machine on my lap from taking a ride if it had been the powerbook with the old kind of connector.

THANK YOU FOR THE MAGSAFE, APPLE... :):):):):):)

15. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

That's the problem with the US-design of plugs for power sockets. Since they're 2-pronged, they can come out far more easily when compared to the 3-pronged design of the UK plugs which never come out!

At least your laptop didn't go flying!

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

17. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

Half the time I can't put the laptop on my lap without the MagSafe connector coming off. I've tripped over the power cord, and the MagSafe disconnected as advertised.

Like everything in life, it's not fool proof.

18. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Whilst I was in the US for a week, I felt that the 2 Prong wall socket design seems to come out far too easily, like whilst the magsafe was plugged into one of the regular apple two prongs which go straight into the wall socket, the magsafe was too heavy for it to stay in, it would make slightly fizzy sounds from the wall. I bought a $5 cable from RadioShack with the figure 8 connection to go into the magsafe and that worked a hell of a lot better, because gravity wasnt pulling on it so much.

Back home 3 prongs feel much more secure. This looks moe like flaws with existing systems, because I've tripped over my cable in the past and the connector just pulls out nicely.

19. yaemes macrumors member

just pop the prongs out (did u know they came out?) and put in another pair from an ipod charger. take the messed up one to an apple store and they'll give ya a new one.