Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saj042

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
I've had my MacBook for about a week and already the magsafe connection won't work. It did at first but now I have to press it in really hard and it will only stay if it isn't touched at all. Anyone have this issue or an idea on whats wrong?

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
saj042 said:
I've had my MacBook for about a week and already the magsafe connection won't work. It did at first but now I have to press it in really hard and it will only stay if it isn't touched at all. Anyone have this issue or an idea on whats wrong?

is the connector at all bent or misaligned? it doesn't seem good that you'd have to force it in or that it would be so sensitive to falling out. i second the motion to call apple... although i would hate to think that problems like this are going to become common with the mbps.

Preacher85

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2004
Vermillion, SD
Spanky Deluxe said:
Maybe its been demagnetised? Get some paperclips or something like that and see if it picks them up.

The magnet for the MagSafe isn't in the connector though, it is actually in the MBP where the connector goes to.

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
Preacher85 said:
The magnet for the MagSafe isn't in the connector though, it is actually in the MBP where the connector goes to.
Doesn't make any difference, you acn still see if that has become demagnetied by putting paper clips near it.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
I did read one reviewer that said it was a little too prone to falling out, especially in situations like in bed or some other non-flat surface. i didn't get the impression that it was an issue; more of a gasp for something wrong with the thing. if it doesnt work as advertised after a month, and it affects your productivity, apple should do something about it.

EDIT: i dont want this, the coolest update to the power connector in laptop history, to be remembered as the beautiful machine that had to have a rubber band around the hinge and the power connector.

saj042

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Thanks for everything guys, I went to the store today and all they basically said was that it malfunctioned. The prongs were straight and hitting their connection spots, the magsafe unit itself was just broken. Well at least I got that behind me, I was stuck 2 straight days without my MacBook.

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
I like the ease at which the magsafe disconnects from my MBP. I tend to move around the apartment quite a bit with my cpu while I'm working on it and pops on and off nicely. Plus it's just so darn cool the way it pulls into the socket from your hand, like magic oooooooooo:cool: .

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
I do agree that it can fall out quite easily when moving around if I'm lying on my bed or the couch or the office desk or the floor or the train or the back seat of the car, but it's not a real issue - doesn't fall out too much to be a problem and it is handy if someone knocks it cause it doesn't take your computer with it :) I have a habbit of sitting there pulling it out and letting it suck itself back in though. They should have put it on the right side. My old Samsung laptop had the power button on the left side and I usued to switch it off without noticing sometimes, so I'm glad the power button of this thing is on th right side. But I just play with the power cord without noticing on this :p Not as bad as shutting it down every 5mins tho.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
i saw something funny (and slightly horrific) the other day. at school we have a computer lab with a conference room that students can use for whatever reason. this room is equipped with a 15" powerbook and a projector. when i went in there to use it, the staff member checking all the equipment moved the powerbook, picking it up open and walking with it. he didnt unplug the power cord because he was used to his MBP unplugging itself.

the computer fell spectacularly to the floor, hitting a chair as it did so.

now it doesnt boot (but powers up), the plug is all F'd up, the case is bent so you cant put in an optical disc, and the screen is all green, black, and purple when it turns on at all.

mjlizzad

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2004
I had the same issue

I had exactly the same issue when my Macbook was 3 days old. The connector's light wouldn't light up unless I pressed it in really hard.

I went into the Chicago Apple store where I purchased it and tried one of the floor model connectors - which worked fine. Apple claimed to not have the magsafes in stock (you can imagine my threat to just exchange/return the macbook) and they did located a boxed magsafe.

The new one has been working well. Get a new one.

-mjlizzad.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
chaos86 said:
i saw something funny (and slightly horrific) the other day. at school we have a computer lab with a conference room that students can use for whatever reason. this room is equipped with a 15" powerbook and a projector. when i went in there to use it, the staff member checking all the equipment moved the powerbook, picking it up open and walking with it. he didnt unplug the power cord because he was used to his MBP unplugging itself.

the computer fell spectacularly to the floor, hitting a chair as it did so.

now it doesnt boot (but powers up), the plug is all F'd up, the case is bent so you cant put in an optical disc, and the screen is all green, black, and purple when it turns on at all.

That scenario gave me shivvers up my spine. Poor PB.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
lamina said:
That scenario gave me shivvers up my spine. Poor PB.

the employee was absolutely mortified because it was totally his fault and his boss is a real bastard, and i think he is a new employee. the boss saw the look on his face though and burst out laughing. i was in there yesterday, the employee was still there and there is a new MBP where the PB was.

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues with the Magsafe connector. After a month of use, over the past few days, my connector has started connecting sporadically.

After examining it closely, I've noticed that pins 2 and 4 on the Magsafe are no longer springing out when the adaptor's being plugged in. Hence, the only way I can get a connection with any degree of reliability is to tap the plug 'pins down' to dislodge pins 2 and 4, and then insert the adaptor into the MacBook with at least a 45 degree angle...

Very annoying to say the least, so it's off to Apple tomorrow...

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
The point of it is to easily fall out, so the plug doesn't get too damaged, but sometimes there's just one thign wrong, and you'll have to another cord. Can't be that tough.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.