MagSafe Jack replace: warranty voided?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zopiro, Oct 30, 2012.

1. zopiro, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

zopiro macrumors member

My Macbook Pro (unibody, late 2011) slipped and fell on the ground. Now there's a bad connection with the power adapter. I've tried different adapters and the problem stays, so I guess it lies on the Macbook jack.

Since there's a slight bump on the casing, I'm suspecting Apple won't cover the repair. I have some technical experience fixing computers, so I'm thinking about giving this a try. My guess is it's only a matter of fixing the small DC board properly.

Will this definitely kill my warranty for the entire notebook? How can Apple know that I disassembled it?

Cheers

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It could void your warranty. Have you simply taken the bottom case off and inspected the suspected area for damage?

If you're careful, they may not notice. I'm pretty sure it involves removing the logic board.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Is the MagSafe board lined up properly? It might have just gone slightly out of alignment.

You'll need to take out the logic board to replace it, but you can try to realign it easily, just loosen the two screws that hold the MagSafe board down, and use a MagSafe adapter to align it whilst loose.

4. zopiro thread starter macrumors member

It appears to be lined up. My guess is the connection from the small dc board to the logic board might have loosened a bit with the bump. I fear that continuous usage might screw it up unless I fasten it.

My only concern is completely voiding the warranty, though...

Attached Files:

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you're not far from an Apple store why don't you try that first? If you visit an Apple store and they say no due to damage, you can go ahead and try the repair yourself.

6. zopiro thread starter macrumors member

There are no Apple stores in my city. The authorized Apple repair centers will charge me around US$100 for an unaccepted budget. That means if they open it up and decide the warranty won't cover it, and I choose not to repair it with them, I'm down 100 bucks. For nothing.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

And how much do they charge to do the repair? I don't imagine that its much more than $100.

8. zopiro thread starter macrumors member

I paid around $400 for a MBP top case replacement last year.

I'm guessing they'll charge more than $100. Maybe I'll just do that. It will just be frustrating as hell if they tell me the warranty is already voided due to the bump, and I'll know I could have done the repair myself...