magsafe light blinks green.... orange.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whyrichard, May 8, 2008.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

My first gen 15"macbook pro is faint of heart... of battery...

i plug it in, the little light on the magsafe blinks green... orangue........ green... orange....

and if i unplug it, it acts like the battery is dead.

need new battery?

thanks,
    r.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Since you would have to go to store to buy a new battery, maybe you should set up a genius bar appointment so they can tell what needs to be replaced?

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

would apple care take care of a new battery?

thanks,
    r.

4. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I had the same problem with my gen 1 MBP. I called Apple up for a new power adapter and they sent a new one to me in 5 days. Worked just fine.

Also if your having a problem with battery don't go to the Apple store for a new one. They will tell you to get lost. If you are well below 300 re-charge cycles and your battery health is below 70% they will replace it but only if you do it over the phone and make a bit of noise about it. Thats what I had to do anyway.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I was referring more to the likes of going to the store so they can tell what's wrong instead of guessing. Since the OP has AppleCare and if they need to they will replace the AC Adapter and/or battery. If they say a new battery is needed, but it's not covered and the OP needs to buy one, then don't buy one, go home and call Apple Support and tell them; they don't know if the Apple Store diagnosed anything! Just sound convincing, but don't lie (or get caught).

6. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

My Iridium Starbook (yeah, I know, icky Wintel computer) used to do the self same thing after the battery control unit died; the battery status light would blink from discharging (amber) to charging (green) over and over and, as you say happens to you, if I was to pull out the mains adapter the computer would die (with a rather sad whine, made you feel cruel to do it).

Therefore my suggestion is that it could be a power adapter problem that the computer isn't being supplied with enough juice, or like mine the battery controller is dead and needs replacing (which I think is covered under warranty). I haven't had any experience with Mac notebooks since the G4 PowerBook though so I can't claim to know exactly what the problem could be, but there's my two cents anyway.