Magsafe light goes dim

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jongewehr, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

hey guys , my magsafe light goes dim green, orange, or off when plugged into my macbook

it still charges it fine, an it never stops charing, just the light goes dim. if i wiggle the wire the light turns back on.

i went to the apple store, the guy didnt look at it but i explained the above, he said its normal an his does the same an come back if it stops chargin

what do you thing? should i go back or call or is it fine.

2. anguyenn macrumors member

I only noticed this ONCE in my half of year of using the Macbooks. This was a few weeks ago, never happened again. I wouldn't sweat it if it wasn't a daily occurrence. Make sure it's plugged in correctly.

3. Magick macrumors member

Mine's been doing that for months! still works fine though. (my SR MBP)

4. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

if u wiggle it does the light go back on ?

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

This was happening with my white MacBook even after I cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol. Taking it out and putting it back in usually made it go back to full brightness. No idea why this happened. Don't worry about it unless it affects charging.

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Me too, happens a few times a month. I usually just unplug it then plug it back in. Not a big deal.

7. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

could this be a fire issue like with some magsafe?

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

sounds like something is drawing the current causing the light to dim, i would discontinue use of that adapter right away.

get it replaced.

9. ppilone macrumors 6502

Having the same problem on the late '08 MBP. Seems like it started about a week ago and usually a quick tap on the magsafe fixes it. The post about something drawing the current is interesting though...

10. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

my sr macbook does it all the time like for 6+ months never had an issue

11. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

so if it catches fire a burns your house down...you will stop using it ?

might want to rethink your logic.

12. Magick macrumors member

It goes back on when I unplug it and plug it back in, sometimes the light is dim, sometimes it's off.

13. d3n13d macrumors member

mine recently started doing this too, macbookpro unibody here... it is kind of worrying, I have started unplugging it overnight and when im not using it.

14. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

i called apple today an there sending out a new power brick

15. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

Both of my chargers (one broke) would go dim at times, but sometimes just unplugging and plugging it back in or something would make the light go back on. Like someone also said before I wouldn't let it bother you unless it actually affected the charging itself.

16. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

17. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Well it never occured to me that this was hazerdous but after seeing this thread im going to call apple and if it did burn my house down i dont think there would be any magsafe left to use

18. simcasimca macrumors newbie

not a good sign

It is an old post but, I have been having this problem for a few months, sometimes say not charging, sometimes still charging but with dim green light.
    And I realized this cut in the cable just at the end of the cable to the adapter.
    It is because of the folding, in time it probably gets worse.
    I had the same thing with my ibook years ago - at the end of the cable, this time, where you plugged it to the book.
    I was very happy with magnet charger with macbook because it does not fold, but still there is no escape from it!!!