MagSafe light not illuminating

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by McGiord, May 16, 2010.

1. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Hello,

This is a late 2006 MacBook.
    The battery was not charging.
    The battery was OK, despite it I bought a new one from the apple store.
    The MagSafe charger was not working OK, I bought a new one 85w also, so I can share it with MBP.
    Also I replaced the DC in board, that I bought from ifixit.
    The battery is charging fine now but the light is not lit most of the times.
    I reseted the PRAM and SMC.

After I disconnect the MagSafe and reconnect it sometime it illuminates and sometimes it doesn't. And after some minutes pass the light goes off, even the battery is not fully charged.

What could be happening?

With the new MagSafe powed adapter, does the light should go off after the battery is fully charged?

2. McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord

3. Sulwyn macrumors member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure macbooks only use 60w chargers. Wouldn't the 85w magsafe charger kill the 60w battery in your laptop? o_O

4. McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord

Nowadays Apple only sells 85W MagSafe adapters for MacBooks and MacBook Pro, they have a lower wattage one only for the Air.
    The adapter is supposed to deliver only what is demanded by the computer.
    The other way around is not good, using a low watt power adapter for a MacBook Pro.

5. gr3chan macrumors newbie

gr3chan

You are correct about the power adapter. The power consumption is adjusted automatically, or basically only what is needed is used from the modern power adapters. Remove the battery and see if the computer powers on and runs on the power adapter only. If it does not, could be a faulty DC-IN that you bought.