Magsafe/logicboard problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AlexGlassman, Feb 22, 2011.

1. AlexGlassman macrumors newbie

Hey there, I'm new to this forum, so be kind :D

About two weeks ago, the charger for my 13" white macbook frayed.

This then shorted out something inside the macbook, as the battery can no longer take a charge, and naturally, the battery has now run out of juice.

I then bought a new charger, and a dim green light that can only be seen in the dark comes from the charger.

I assumed it was a magsafe board problem, but took it to the genius bar just to make sure. They did some tests, such as putting one of their batteries in my macbook, and seeing if it held a charge (which it didn't) and they put my battery in one of their macbooks, and it did hold a charge. They reassured me that it was, a magsafe board problem and I told them thanks, and I'll fix it myself for £13 instead of the £100 or so they wanted to charge me.

The new magsafe board is now in, but the dim green light still shows, and the battery still can't take a charge.

I'm baffled by what the problem is. I'm now assuming that it's the logic board that got fried. My student loan is being swiftly munched into.

Any information on what you think it might be would be great.

Thanks in advance,

A student in need.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Unless your new MagSafe board is bad as well (which is of course possible, and how likely it is depends on the source you got it from), then chances are that the logic board also is damaged. It could also be the small battery connector, but that's somewhat unlikely.

jW

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I agree with the above but think that it probably is the logicboard.

Is there any mileage in pushing for a repair since it sounds as if the faulty MagSafe adaptor may well have caused or at least contributed to the damage done to the MacBook.....

4. FangRock, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

FangRock macrumors member

FangRock

It seems like you have EXACTLY the same problem as me Alex, see this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1098179

I have just noticed the dim green glow in the dark. It sounds like logic board as much as I don't want it to be.

Let me know if you find anything out.

5. AlexGlassman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses guys,

Mal and Logana: I'm certain that the new magsafe board is working as I tested it with an ohmmeter at all the contacts, and got the reassuring beep, but I also tested my old one, which seems to be fully connected too, so I don't think it's the magsafe board. Most probably the logic board. Seriously considering just buying a second hand mac mini and selling all the parts for this macbook.

FangRock: Just read your thread, we seem to have very similar problems indeed, except you seem to be able to turn your mac on when the charger is plugged in? I can't get any power on mine even when plugged in :/. Anyway, I've booked another appointment at the apple store for Friday as being an electronic engineering student has failed me yet again, and I'll give an update as to what they say then.

6. spirnik macrumors newbie

Magsafe/logicboard

Hi I have had a similar problem, I got my macbook pro 2007 put into a new case the other day. however when I went to turn it on it would chime stay on for two seconds then power off, it did this about three times then finally the fourth time it did it and i went to remove the magsafe and it popped and left a burn mark around the second pin from the right on the I/O board. I am tryin to figure out if there was a loose connector on the I/O board or logic board that might have caused this problem. Also how to look to see where the problem started so I can take it back to the people who changed it and show them otherwise they will blame it on me and not do **** about it, which is typical for most companies today. Now im not sure if this could have happened from the battery connector not being plugged into the logice board properly becuase I did notice it was loose and the Dvd Drive was not plugged in properly.

7. coccoborg macrumors newbie

Check the connector on the logic board

Yes, I know, I sure am late, but I just had this problem myself, stupid green dim light shows up and my white macbook will not charge, I've done many tests, the charger works as it can charge my 15" pro and the battery works as well, I've put it inside my pro (yes you can do this), charged it for a while and then put it back into the white macbook and it worked, turned out one of the pins on the logicboard where the dc-in board connect was damaged, I just had to solder it back in its place :)